Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Not totally off topic >

Not totally off topic

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Not totally off topic

Old 12-31-2013, 12:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Not totally off topic

I say that because I was doing some pushes for my buddy today. Seeing coyote tracks everywhere. On the second push I stumbled on a den. Tracks heading in and out of it in the snow. So once ML season is over I will be replacing my ML with my .223 and do an evening sit to ambush them when they exit their little hideaway.
They have been harassing the heck out of the deer here. Almost every deer bed I have come across has had yote tracks very close to it with the deer tracks running from the beds. Fortunately I haven't seen any kills yet.
Old 12-31-2013, 01:28 PM
Dominant Buck

With this hard winter and deep snow, I took wondered what kind of toll the coyotes and timber wolves will be taking on the already depleted deer herds. Either there is no deer around my house, or they have already yarded up. There is no sign what so ever of deer. I normally see their tracks in the snow covered roads when I take my walk but all I see now is coyote and what I believe to be fox tracks. So the predators are having their way this winter.
Old 12-31-2013, 05:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

We're certain the coyotes really put the hurt on our fawn crop last summer. We were getting trail camera pictures pregnant does in early spring, along with a lot of coyote pictures. Then in June and July we got darn few pictures of does with spotted fawns and way too many pictures of does with only one fawn or none at all.

Next May (just before the does drop fawns) we plan to hit the coyotes hard with some "special treats".
Old 12-31-2013, 06:28 PM
Fork Horn

coyotes are going for 60.00 and up . either try calling them in or get some trappers to thin them out.
Old 01-01-2014, 05:25 AM
Typical Buck

My new toy comes tomorrow (Primos Alpha Dogg) and the coyotes wont know what hit them. Going to use my 223 contender/6.5jdj contender.
Old 01-02-2014, 02:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

We have our share of Coyotes here as well, but there are two individuals in my township that have Coyote dogs and they hunt the pi$$ out of em' every opportunity they get. That and a few older fellas that are diehard trappers help keep their numbers somewhat in check locally. We also have booming Bobcat numbers and now Fishers as well. It's getting tougher every year to compete with the predators for a deer.

BPS

Last edited by Blackpowdersmoke; 01-02-2014 at 02:33 AM.