Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Another Season Done Gone >

Another Season Done Gone

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Another Season Done Gone

Old 12-16-2013, 02:55 PM
Fork Horn

Default Another Season Done Gone

The BlackPowder season ended yesterday here in Mn. I had a great hunt, no Venison, but a great hunt, everything was as I like it, Cold, snow, everything but a deer. As I was leaving the shed yesterday morning, my hopes for a deer were almost nonexistent, I happened to look up & couldn't resist a picture, no venison this year, but over the years I have done well, I hunt venison (not antlers) but even a blind hog get an acorn once in awhile, I want to Thank those that wished me well, and gave advise when I needed it.

Old 12-16-2013, 03:37 PM
Typical Buck

I will agree I missed a nice buck at 150yards or more my son last week missed a huge doe again a long shot off hand.
I can't eat horns like you venison is on the top of the list. I did pass on a huge doe with a off spring fawn at 12 yards during the bow season.
This past last week was black powder only but the weather was bad

Last edited by lonewolf5348; 12-17-2013 at 06:14 AM.
Old 12-16-2013, 04:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

I know where you're coming from Doc. My season has been a bust so far. I've seen a spike and a six pointer - both out of range of a comfortable shot, and three does. All three of the does would have been easy meat in the freezer. But our club is laying off of the does this year.

Anyway, the hunting has been fun and nights in the camp cook shack with the guys is as important as the hunt. We have another month of hunting and the rut in our area is just kicking in. So my hopes are high.
Old 12-16-2013, 08:49 PM
Fork Horn

It's times like this I do like our 12 month season for all weapons, but there a lots of times where I don't!
Old 12-17-2013, 12:51 PM
Dominant Buck

Well there is always next year. And maybe the deer herd will not be decimated with the snow and cold your having. In Northern Wisconsin, there is some serious concern after the dismal numbers of deer harvest here, that with these bitter cold temperatures and all the snow we've been getting.. it could even cause more damage to our all ready low deer numbers.
Old 12-17-2013, 02:39 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Well Doc like you I ended up with nothing. I hunted 2 states did have a nice close chance at a doe but passed as I wanted a buck to drop to the BP for tmy 1st. I hunted hard and long in cold and snow. It was fun.

I thank the many members here who helped me develop the loads for all my front enders.

Maybe next yr!

JW
Old 12-17-2013, 02:52 PM
Typical Buck

It is not good n western wi I knew lots of folks that saw nothing. Good if you had Private land but sill not like years past
Old 12-18-2013, 05:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm there with you Doc. I got out as much as I could. Saw one nice doe I tried to shoot but the gun didn't go bang. Still feeling upset about that one.
I still feel like I took something from the season. The conditions were harsh but it was still peaceful. I saw a report yesterday that MN is experiencing it's coldest winter since 1973, and to find a colder one would have to go back to 1927. This year was an exception. Next year should be better if we don't end up with freeze-dried deer.