Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

MK 85 stock

Old 12-10-2013, 04:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default MK 85 stock

Which is your favorite and why? Mine has the plastic stock and I have been thinking about finding another one like a laminated stock or a thumb hole stock. I like mine but wonder about how strong it is and if I could find a replacement if something happened. Ron
Old 12-10-2013, 04:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by idahoron
Which is your favorite and why? Mine has the plastic stock and I have been thinking about finding another one like a laminated stock or a thumb hole stock. I like mine but wonder about how strong it is and if I could find a replacement if something happened. Ron
Because of the weather that I hunt in, I much prefer the composite stock. It does not care about temp or water...

Also, for myself the TH version is totally the way to go...

I have had all three but the one above is the favorite
Old 12-10-2013, 06:18 PM
1874sharpsshooter

I have the composite , laminate , thumbhole and regular . Out of all of them the laminate is my favorite . Thumbhole is the best for sure , at least It seems that wAy for me . The more I use a TH the more I prefer it .

Old 12-10-2013, 07:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a number of different stocks. It depends on the hunting I am doing. If I am stand hunting, I prefer my thumbhole for sure. Still hunting or bad weather, usually the synthetic std stock. My laminate is the prettiest, to me.

In regards to the factory synthetic stocks...I feel they are pretty darn good. And as far as a replacement...the std synthetic seems to be the most popular around. Ron, I have the same one you do on the gun I bought new in 1994. I doubt you'll have any issues with it.
Old 12-11-2013, 06:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've been thinking about switching the stock out on my MK85, where are you all getting your stocks from?
Old 12-11-2013, 06:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

TN...they are not made by Knight anymore, so just around (classifieds, various gun auction sites, ebay, etc), but honestly not that often. I've been looking for a certain one for a while (2yrs) with no luck.

What do you haven and what are you looking for?
Old 12-11-2013, 07:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by WV Hunter
TN...they are not made by Knight anymore, so just around (classifieds, various gun auction sites, ebay, etc), but honestly not that often. I've been looking for a certain one for a while (2yrs) with no luck.

What do you haven and what are you looking for?
Mine is just a plain walnut. Was looking for a thumbhole in laminate if possible. I was looking for aftermarket versions but have not had any success.
Old 12-11-2013, 07:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Composite for hunting, laminate for show. I prefer the early composite stocks without the checkering on them, they just feel better to me.
Old 12-11-2013, 07:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

The thumbholes see to be very few and far between. About the easist way would be to find a whole gun...buy it, swap stocks and resell. But even those are not that common it seems.

I have a laminated th stock that I did that with...its gorgeous and I love it. Was made by Wenig Custom Gunstocks. I contacted them earlier this year to see if they still offered them, they said yes they do. Here was the email I got.

"We still have the patterns for this gun, we have the thumbhole that you have and a straight field type stock. Machine inletted do it yourself stocks are going to start at $175.00 and completely finished like yours at $900.00"

LOL was all I could do. I paid $200 for the whole gun like new with a scope AND that stock.
Old 12-11-2013, 07:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by flounder33
Composite for hunting, laminate for show. I prefer the early composite stocks without the checkering on them, they just feel better to me.
Thats funny, I'm the exact opposite. I like the checkering for whatever reason. I just sold my comp with no checkering.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.