Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Question ... Swapping a 209 for a #11 cap >

Question ... Swapping a 209 for a #11 cap

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Question ... Swapping a 209 for a #11 cap

Old 12-06-2013, 11:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Question ... Swapping a 209 for a #11 cap

I have an older "Country Boy" 50 caliber in-line muzzleloader produced by Navy arms in the late 80's or early 90's.

It was manufactured with a #11 nipple in the breech plug as the ignition source. I discovered last year that my Traditions breech plug, equipped with a 209 nipple, fit into this Country boy. I decided to try a 209 ignited low power charge in the Country Boy and it fired fine.

I tried 3 more shots with a full charge of 100 grains of Triple Seven and it fired and printed fine.

Do you guys think I am risking any issues by going this route of the 209 ignition instead of the original #11 ignition? The # 11's aren't always as reliable as the 209's , but if the general opinion here is that I should lower the charge to say, 80 grains, that would make sense to me.

Opinions?
Old 12-06-2013, 12:08 PM
Dominant Buck

The Country Boy was not a magnum rifle. In fact I think they were restricted to 100 grains of powder. But I do not see how moving from the #11 to the 209 ignition would hurt the rifle. Your just putting more fire into the charge is all. The ignition itself adds very little to the over all barrel pressures I would think. But I am a strong believer in not changing the design of a rifle unless your 100% sure of the safety issues. On that I can not comment as I have no background in that area.