Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Omega question

Old 11-26-2013, 05:41 PM
Fork Horn

Default Omega question

In Mn our muzzle load season begins this Saturday, I plan on using my new omega, which I have had to the range a couple of times & really am happy with the results, my only problem (& question) is how to silence the hammer? when cocking the hammer it is the noisiest I have ever encountered, even covering it with a gloved hand it can be heard, is it just a matter of lubricant? or is mine the exception? Thanks Doc
Old 11-27-2013, 02:21 AM
Typical Buck

I just went a messed around with mine. I found the click to be reasonable at the ranges I usually shoot. Perhaps a little louder than pushing a safety off but not much more.

However, if you pull the trigger first, then cock the hammer while the trigger is depressed, then while holding the hammer release the trigger, then remove your thumb from the hammer... the whole procedure is silent.

Try it a few times. The only safety concern would be if you thumb slipped off the hammer while the trigger is depressed. Not likely and you'd be presumably pointing at a safe target anyway.

This is how you would lower the hammer if you decided not to take the shot after all.

Last edited by Josmund; 11-27-2013 at 05:15 AM.
Old 11-27-2013, 05:10 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks, I will try that, The reason I asked is that during the rifle season I rattled in a deer, (first time! that I kow) I made a huge mistake, my rifle bumped my metal ladder stand (I didn't have it covered complete) the deer came in real cautious, not taking my eyes off the deer (he came in through a patch of willows) when putting my rifle in position, "Clink" I didn't make much of a noise but enough to alert the deer, after a long standoff, it was gone. I know the "Click" of the hammer on the Omega is louder & don't want to repeat. I will give your idea a try. Thanks.

Last edited by DocD; 11-27-2013 at 05:13 AM.
Old 11-27-2013, 06:28 AM
Fork Horn

JOSMUND's response is exactly how I cock both my Triumph & Kodiak Mag. Practice the technique to make sure the trigger catches the hammer when the trigger is released, with an unloaded gun. Always, make sure the barrel is pointed in a safe direction, as this is not the most "recommended" way to cock a gun.

Now that the safety rant is over. This technique works perfectly once mastered. It is completely silent.
Old 11-27-2013, 06:53 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks, I will put it to the test today, I am sure it is not the most recommend way, but I have to do something, Thanks
Old 11-27-2013, 07:09 AM
Boone & Crockett

I am sure it is not the most recommend way
Actually, it's standard procedure for most guns with an exposed hammer. I use that method with my Omega as well as two Browning single shots (B-97 25-06 & 1885 45-70) as well as a Marlin lever gun.
Old 11-27-2013, 07:24 AM
Fork Horn

I didn't Know that!!! Thanks

btw I like this
Don't be so hard on the president. Lots of people fail at their first job.