Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Powder 101

Old 11-26-2013, 08:23 AM
Spike

Default Powder 101

Hey guys, just getting started and would like some input in Pyrodex, real black powder. I'm using RS in my renegade 54 cal. Shooting conicals. Seems to be doing ok but I see all kinds of powder being used. Fffg, ffg. A little confusing. What's up.
Old 11-26-2013, 09:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

There is a pretty good discussion of the different powders in the reference section above. If you have specific questions after reading that someone here is sure to know the answer. Good Luck.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Your Pyrodex RS is 2F powder. The Pyrodex P is 3F.
Old 11-26-2013, 11:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

Pryodex is not real black powder, it is a substitute that came out in the 70s...Since it's ignition temp is higher than real black powder it is not as restrictive so far as storage and shipping...

Real black powder comes in different grades from F to FFFF with F being courser and FFFF being finer...F is for cannons, FFFF is for priming flintlocks and FF and FFF are for the main charge in rifles and shotguns...

Back in the 60s, we were told FFF is for rifles .45 caliber and below and FF for shotguns and rifles .50 caliber and above...Since we have learned that FFF can be used in larger bores as well as for priming, which makes things less complicated as only one powder can serve both purposes...
Old 11-26-2013, 12:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

In terms of velocity yield per given volume of powder, real black powder is the lowest with FFg a bit lower than FFFg. Pyrodex yields a bit higher velocity than real black with RS a bit lower than P. Next up is Triple Seven. Again FF is a bit lower than FFF. I think Blackhorn is about equal to Triple Seven in the velocity department, especially with bullets of 250 grains or less. Blackhorn may have an edge with heavier bullets, but I can't say for sure as I haven't worked with Blackhorn over the chronograph to any great extent.

As far as accuracy potential goes, I've found real black powder to be the most forgiving, followed by Pyrodex RS. When I say forgiving I'm referring to potential accuracy with a wide range of powder charges from fairly low charges to fairly high charges. Triple Seven seems to have a more limited range for good accuracy with any particular bullet (at least that's what I think I've experienced). I haven't worked with Blackhorn enough to have an opinion on it regarding the accuracy potential with a range of powder charges.

Last edited by Semisane; 11-26-2013 at 12:13 PM.
Old 11-27-2013, 02:38 AM
Spike

Wow, lot to soak up. Thanks for all the info. Looks like I need to get me a little glass of scotch, sit in my easy chair, and do some homework. Thanks again... Regards Wade
Old 11-27-2013, 04:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

Don't overthink it, if Pyrodex is working, go kill deer with that Renegade...
Old 11-28-2013, 02:50 AM
Spike

Thank guys, what a blast. I think I found a new hobby.
Old 11-28-2013, 03:03 AM
Spike

Meat for the freezer, at 60 yrds. Powder 101-image.jpg
Old 11-28-2013, 03:39 AM
Fork Horn

Foul!!!! Major foul!!!!

Start a thread, get great advice then show a great pic with no details or story!?!? FOUL!!!!!!

Kidding aside, let's hear some details. Congrats!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.