Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Decisions, Decisions...Off topic >

Decisions, Decisions...Off topic

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Decisions, Decisions...Off topic

Old 11-25-2013, 06:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Decisions, Decisions...Off topic

OK fellas...

Here's the dilemma. I harvested my buck in archery season (we're only allowed one antlered deer per season in PA), so I will be going back out the Monday after Thanksgiving for the opener of our two week regular firearms season and I have an antlerless tag for my management unit. I'm undecided as to whether or not I will even shoot a deer because my wife will be hunting as well and I'm hoping she'll get her buck. We never take more than we can use so it's not a question of filling our freezer. She has already stated that she has no intention of shooting a doe the first week even though our unit is either sex for both weeks and we both have ML stamps to hunt the late Flintlock season anyway. That said, I thought I would go out because I like to be in the woods while she is just in case she needs my help (which she rarely does) and maybe fill a tag with a firearm I have never taken a deer with. Here's a list of the firearms I own that I've never taken a deer with and it's actually pretty short compared to the overall list of what I have.

1. 1946 Savage model 99 .300 Savage in 90+% condition that I have never fired. I bought it at a very reasonable price as an investment gun back in 1986.

2. 1957 Winchester model 94 30-30 in probably 95% original condition bought as an investment gun.

3. 1975 Ithaca Deerslayer 12 gauge (smoothbore slug barrel) with factory Raybar sights in 95% original condition (the previous owner ran a 5-pack of slugs through it)

3. My first muzzleloading rifle...a T/C .50 Hawken percussion that my parents gave me for Christmas in 1973.

4. A T/C Renegade .54 percussion purchased in December 2012.

5. A T/C Hawken .54 percussion (never fired) purchased in October 2013.

6. Ruger Vaquero 4-5/8" barrel chambered for .45 LC (real close range gun).

That's about it... Everything else I own that's legal to hunt deer with has already has taken a deer. So here are the choices, if it was your choice which would it be?

I'm leaning toward one in particular... just curious as to what you all might have to say.

BPS

Last edited by Blackpowdersmoke; 11-25-2013 at 06:17 PM.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:25 PM
Dominant Buck

#3 just because it was a gift from the folks and should be used as it was intended.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

#5 - An unfired rifle is a sin. But you'll have to sight it in. So maybe #6 if you've never taken a deer with a handgun. It's an easy carry and you'll be waiting for the perfect shot and trophy deer anyway.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:52 PM
Fork Horn

U had me at 3. Which reminds me. The percussion pistol dad and I built together hasent seen a hunt since he died. Time to correct that.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane
#5 - An unfired rifle is a sin. But you'll have to sight it in. So maybe #6 if you've never taken a deer with a handgun. It's an easy carry and you'll be waiting for the perfect shot and trophy deer anyway.
Semi...

You must have edited your post before they caught it! I have taken a deer with a handgun, a T/C Contender chambered for 7-30 Waters. The .45 LC Vaquero is the only other handgun I own that's legal to hunt deer with. I have had many times when deer run up underneath me and stand there looking around as if they're confused and unsure of where the last threat or commotion came from. They all stand there looking in different directions as if they're wondering if it's safe to stop and take a rest. That's where the .45 Vaquero would have to bark... 25 yards or less because it's a fixed sighted handgun.

BPS
Old 11-25-2013, 07:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

OK fellas,

Lets open the playing field a bit. If you could carry a combo, with the .45 LC being the extreme close range weapon....what would be your choice for the longer range firearm? I'll help you out a bit here, the max distance that I can shoot in the woods I hunt is about 60-75 yards.

BPS
Old 11-25-2013, 09:19 PM
Fork Horn

Now if you asked me what the coolest one on your list is. It's gotta be number one. That sucker just needs to bark at a deer again.
Old 11-25-2013, 09:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by edwardCVAmason
Now if you asked me what the coolest one on your list is. It's gotta be number one. That sucker just needs to bark at a deer again.
Ed,

You're testing me my friend... I've been wanting to take that old rifle out and make it talk again for years, just haven't taken the time to shoot it.

BPS
Old 11-26-2013, 06:48 AM
Fork Horn

#1...that rifle needs to take a deer again.
Old 11-26-2013, 08:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

Since I hunted my whole life with a 1955 Winchester 94 in 30-30.

Guess which one i'd pick?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.