Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Missfire

Old 11-25-2013, 03:03 PM
Spike

Default Missfire

Every single time I try to fire my Traditions Buckhunter inline 50 cal it won't fire on the first shot. It'll fire how it should the second time the action closes. Even if I don't put a cap in, then hold the bolt when I pull the trigger to hold the tension in my hand, close it very slowly with a cap in. Then open it and fire it regularly it will shoot fine. I shot it about 20 times today, cleaned it, tried different grains, brand new tin of caps and still. I bought the gun yesterday had my local gun shop do a full clean on it and make sure everything was safe. My first time shooting it was after I picked it up this morning. I've torn it apart and cleaned it a number of times today, but still always miss fires. It doesn't blow the cap the first time either.
Old 11-25-2013, 05:44 PM
Dominant Buck

Have you tried a new nipple? When you said cap I am guessing your shooting a #11 cap. Perhaps the longer cap, so the bolt can close harder in the shorter distance.

I own a rifle with the same problems you describe. Its a Knight LK rifle. I know this sounds crazy, and I have done it on the range but I have taken an empty rifle. The one with a problem. And capped it then fired it. If the cap did not fire, I would then load it, and hunt with it. It then is sitting on the second firing.
Old 11-25-2013, 05:48 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by cayugad
Have you tried a new nipple? When you said cap I am guessing your shooting a #11 cap. Perhaps the longer cap, so the bolt can close harder in the shorter distance.

I own a rifle with the same problems you describe. Its a Knight LK rifle. I know this sounds crazy, and I have done it on the range but I have taken an empty rifle. The one with a problem. And capped it then fired it. If the cap did not fire, I would then load it, and hunt with it. It then is sitting on the second firing.
That ML would have found a new home so fast!!!!!
Old 11-25-2013, 06:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

Sounds like the nipple.

There is a retrofit kit for the Buckhunter that uses a 209 primer.

https://www.traditionsfirearms.com/p...sion-kit-a1512
Old 11-25-2013, 06:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by edwardCVAmason
That ML would have found a new home so fast!!!!!
I'm with you Ed...I would have sent it packing!

BPS
Old 11-25-2013, 06:40 PM
Dominant Buck

I find it so hard to part with any of my firearms. Probably why I have a room dedicated to them. And besides, I understand the rifle, I know its characteristics, and I hunt alone.

I can live with a flaw in the rifle. Its a great shooter. And last, I would hate to sell a rifle with a defect to someone else to then have to deal with. I never could peddle a rifle I knew had a flaw. And dump that problem on some unsuspecting person.
Old 11-26-2013, 05:35 AM
Fork Horn

I have the same rifle, also the conversion kit for 209 primers.

If you look at the plunger face, the part that strikes the primer, is it somewhat flat or does it have a small raised dimple in the center?

If it is somewhat flat, it's the stock plunger for #11 caps
If is has the raised dimple, it's the plunger for 209 primers

I'm just trying to establish what you currently have since the rifle was purchased used. The conversion uses a different breech plug and nipple. I also agree to try a different nipple and maybe a different breech plug(yours could be out of spec and causing you issues) but I would make sure as to what plunger system is in the rifle. The conversion uses a thunder dome breech plug which requires thunder nipples.

Last edited by BuckDoeHunter; 11-26-2013 at 03:23 PM.
Old 11-26-2013, 03:22 PM
Spike

I'll take some pictures. I do use 11 caps.
Old 11-26-2013, 06:07 PM
Spike

So upon further inspection I've noticed some nice scraping on the other side of striker? the part that bolt goes into. Its a single straight line going down the length of it. The width of a hair. I'm assuming it was rubbed against something that slightly knocked it out of line. Pictures aren't uploading to well.
Old 11-27-2013, 06:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

The only time I have had primers not fire on the first hammer strike, but fire on the second strike, was when I was using the wrong size cap. I found out later that the nipple was a #10 and I was using a #11 cap. I switched to a #10 cap and had no more problems.