Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Talk Me Out of Using Powerbelts >

Talk Me Out of Using Powerbelts

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Talk Me Out of Using Powerbelts

Old 11-19-2013, 06:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Here is another 295 grain that I recovered from a doe a few years ago. I dont remember all of the specifics of the hunt. But I do know that its a 295 grain aerotip, with 80 grains of loose 777.

Old 11-19-2013, 06:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Here is another doe harvested with the same setup, but the bullet was a hollow point instead of an aerotip.

Old 11-19-2013, 09:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you use Powerbelts, I'd suggest the heavier versions and using no more than 80 - 90 grains of powder. A lot of people have success doing this. But there are better bullets...

From my own personal experience I can say the following:

If you want good expansion, pass-thru's and blood trails- .452 Deep Curls (250 or 300 grain). I've only used the 250 grainers, but they have a massive hollow point that expands really well, and they also penetrate well. Don't use 150 grains of powder with them, though - I would use 80 - 100 grains, personally.

If you want to drop a deer in its tracks, go with a neck shot or high shoulder shot. Otherwise, it is might run a little ways, regardless of what bullet you are using.

Lehigh's/Bloodline bullets are another good option. I have shot 2 deer with them, and they do a number on deer. Several years ago I shot a nice 10 pointer with the "little" .40 cal 185 grain Lehigh (same design as Bloodline) and only 80 grains of powder. This was quartering-to shot. The buck hopped forward about 15 yards and then collapsed, kicked a few times, and that was it.

However, I've had similar results with other bullets. I actually prefer the 200 grain Shockwaves/SST's. Sometimes I get large exit holes, sometimes small, but there is always a lot of internal damage. Blood trail is largely dependent on if I hit the deer high or low - high hits tend to not give good blood trails.

I'm not the most experienced hunter around, but in my muzzleloading experience I find that shot placement is far more important than the bullet you are using- provided you are using a bullet within its design parameters (i.e. not shooting a 245 grain Powerbelt with 150 grains of powder).

Just my 2 cents...
Old 11-20-2013, 11:19 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by 7.62NATO
This. I will never feel the need to look for another bullet. The price can't be beat and the performance is golden. My muzzleloader has roared with the 270gr .44 cal Deep Curls five times this season. Two were neck shots that dropped on the spot. The other three were heart/lung shots and two dropped within 15 yards and one dropped on the spot. Prior to this season I shot four other times with a DeepCurl of one variety or another and had four very dead deer and no tracking to do. So that's 9 for 9. Why look any farther?
Because I'm running low on DeepCurls, and I haven't seen any for sale in months! Has anyone seen any for sale? Arrgh!
Old 11-20-2013, 11:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Here's the biggest problem for Powerbelts.

They have a premium bullet price for an average to lousy bullet. It doesn't matter if you're a millionaire. Nobody likes to be ripped off.

You can get 50 PT Golds for the price of 15 premium Powerbelts.

You can also get 50 No Excuses bullets for the price of Powerbelts.

You can get 15 FPB bullets $10 cheaper than 15 Powerbelts.

The point is, all these bullets are better than Powerbelts, and are cheaper. Why would anybody use Powerbelts?

That's a small list. Even as good as Barnes and Thors are they don't cost more than Powerbelts.

Powerbelts have only one thing going for them besides a great sales pitch..........they load easy. That's it!
Old 11-20-2013, 12:42 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter

Powerbelts have only one thing going for them besides a great sales pitch..........they load easy. That's it!
You forgot they fall out easier too according to some reports
Old 11-20-2013, 02:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by donw
Because I'm running low on DeepCurls, and I haven't seen any for sale in months! Has anyone seen any for sale? Arrgh!
Widener's has some.
Old 11-20-2013, 04:16 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
Widener's has some.
Cool, thanks! I just wish they carried sabots, so I could combine an order and keep from paying so much shipping and handling.
Old 11-20-2013, 04:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Now you're getting particular....To do that you need to think ahead and order in the summer, not the middle of deer season!!
Old 11-20-2013, 04:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter

They have a premium bullet price for an average to lousy bullet. It doesn't matter if you're a millionaire. Nobody likes to be ripped off.

You can get 50 PT Golds for the price of 15 premium Powerbelts.

You can also get 50 No Excuses bullets for the price of Powerbelts.

You can get 15 FPB bullets $10 cheaper than 15 Powerbelts.

The point is, all these bullets are better than Powerbelts, and are cheaper. Why would anybody use Powerbelts?

That's a small list. Even as good as Barnes and Thors are they don't cost more than Powerbelts.

They group the best for me, and that is a big factor. I have taken 4 Whitetails with the PB, with not one problem yet. Yes, they may be overpriced, but until they give me reason to switch, I will keep using them. I tried the thors last year, and even tho they are suppose to be a good bullet, I could never get them to group as well as the PB.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.