Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Anyone use the T/C Omega Z5 with the Omega Nikon BDC 250 reticle scope? >

Anyone use the T/C Omega Z5 with the Omega Nikon BDC 250 reticle scope?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Anyone use the T/C Omega Z5 with the Omega Nikon BDC 250 reticle scope?

Old 10-27-2013, 07:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Anyone use the T/C Omega Z5 with the Omega Nikon BDC 250 reticle scope?

I was recently left an T/C Omega Z5 with the Omega Nikon BDC 250 reticle scope. I am new to muzzleloading. My question is, I beleive the person who shot the gun before me only used two 50/50 powder grain pellets. The scope has 4 dots and recommends you sight it in the middle cross-hair at 100 yards with 150 grain pellet to get the other circles sighted in correctly.. Should I go with the way I believe it was loaded, or should I use it the way the scope recommends?
Old 10-27-2013, 09:02 PM
Spike

I suggest you first work on finding an accurate load for your new gun. If you know what bullet or bullet/sabot was being used with that 2-pellet load, you may have a good starting point. Maybe you will prefer a different projectile. You may enjoy finding your own accurate recipe.

Once you get a load, you can use the Nikon BDC "Spot On" Ballistic Calculator, [URL="http://spoton.nikonsportoptics.com/spoton/"], to estimate ranges for the aim points. The "Custom Load" feature will let you enter an estimate of muzzle velocity and ballistic coefficient. You will want to confirm the estimate with shooting.

For sizzling marketing copy, I imagine that a 150 grain load with a lighter, high bc, bullet makes the BDC look great for very long range shots. It may not be the accurate load for your gun. You may also want a different bullet/velocity combination if normal range shots are typical.
Old 10-28-2013, 04:20 AM
Typical Buck

+1 on what Bill stated above. Don't let the scope determine what you will shoot out of the gun. 150 grains of powder is the max load and overkill in my opinion. It most likely won't provide the best accuracy and will be hard on the shooter.

I have the same gun and it shoots very well with 90-100 grains of loose Blackhorn 209 ( recommended ) or loose T7 and a 300 grain bullet. I like the Harvester Crushed Rib sabots as the Omegas generally have tight barrels.

Work up the best shooting load you can, then worry about how BDC will measure out.

If you're new to muzzleloaders, be sure to read up on proper cleaning techniques. More guns hit the scrap pile due to poor or no cleaning than you can believe.

Last edited by Josmund; 10-28-2013 at 04:23 AM.
Old 10-28-2013, 05:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

If You use Blackhorn you will find 110 grains will be close to on sadly my Z5 likes 100 best and so I have to hold below the center of the circle; nut the groups under an inch means it is not to hard to put it where you want it.
You just have to compensate by using a different part of the circle.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the help guys, this helped me out a lot! I believe I have the exact ammo, pellets and even primers the previous owner used. So hopefully as long as I load it the same way it will be dead on.

One more quick question. I test my scope out at http://spoton.nikonsportoptics.com/spoton/ and noticed there is a big change in distance depending on if you put the scope on 3x power vrs 9x. The Area I hunt the average shot would be around 60 yards and the maximum shot I have is Maybe 100 Yards. What power would you recommend I keep the sight on?

Thanks again!

Last edited by ABarOfSoap; 10-28-2013 at 10:08 AM.
Old 10-28-2013, 02:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

If your max shot is 100 yards, forget about the BDC feature. Sight in for dead on at 100 and you'll be good with a dead-on hold for any shorter range. If you really expect most shots to be in the 50/60 yard range, sight in for dead on at 75 and you'll still be good for a dead-on hold at 100.