Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Talk About Bad Luck!!! >

Talk About Bad Luck!!!

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Talk About Bad Luck!!!

Old 10-07-2013, 06:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Red face Talk About Bad Luck!!!

So I called the wife up the other day an asked her if she wanted me to cook up my special spaghetti sauce. Of course she said yes!!! So I go out to the garage and the freezer to get a pack of deer ground meat and to my surprise find my freezer turned off!!!

I opened up the lid and got a faint oder of rotting meat. I had about 4 deer in there and all of it defrosted. Had to get a bunch of plastic bags and off to the dump I went.

Now after thinking of how this could happen, I realized I had inadvertently turned it off myself. I accidentally did it by dropping one of my gun cases on the switch. I guess I will be very busy this season trying to restock my freezer.

If something this stupid is going to happen, it will happen to me.

Old 10-07-2013, 07:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

Dang, that is bad luck...

Our small chest freezer that we bought in '82 went out last year...The wife went down to get some ice cream and it was softer than normal so we caught it in time...I loaded up my venison and took it to the mother in law's freezer...

The good news, I bought a much bigger, upright freezer to replace it...
Old 10-07-2013, 07:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

That's terrible! I did almost the same thing this past spring. I had a friend who lives out of state and who doesn't hunt stop by for a visit, he loves deer meat and asked if he could take some home, I said sure. I went out and got him some out of my freezer in the garage, I had to pull out a bunch of stuff to get what I needed for him.
A week or so later I went out to get some venison chops for dinner, while in the freezer I didn't see my special bag of venison tenderloins (4) that I had been saving for my father in law and uncle and I when I have our annual anniversay party, I always cook them for them. I then spotted the bag with them in it along side the freezer, I forgot to put them back in along with another small bag of chops, I was so mad at myself! I feel your Pain especially with all the meat you lost.
(BP)
Old 10-07-2013, 08:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

I did the same thing 6 months ago. I thought I was turning it up, and turned it off. Lost everything.
Old 10-07-2013, 06:27 PM
Dominant Buck

I done that same thing with a refrigerator freezer out in the garage once. Had it packed (but it was not too much meat) and plugged in. Little did I know when you turned off the main switch to kill the lights.. it turned off every thing. I know all about that "smell" when you open that door. Sorry to hear of your loss. That is a lot of venison. But good luck filling the freezer.
Old 10-10-2013, 04:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Been there.

About 5 years ago my main freezer in my basement got turned off by accident. I have no idea how long it was off, my guess is at least a month. I keep my main load of meat in there, and transfer to our upstairs fridge/freezer as needed, so I didn't go down there but every so often. I had about 150lbs of deer meat in there, and a couple of animals to take to the taxidermist, and some fish and other food. It was the worst thing I've ever had to deal with. I almost puked about 50 times getting all the meat out. Smelled like summer road kill after 3 days of 95 degree heat. Then my son and I dragged that huge freezer outside to try and clean it out. No luck, the smell was imbedded and absolutely horrible. Even though the freezer still worked fine, I ended up throwing it away and getting a new one. It was a great freezer too...giant chest model made in 1959 that I had for over 20yrs.

The bright side Rafsob...it gives you even more reason to fill multiple tags! You know we can get alot of deer in VA...time to stack em up!
Old 10-11-2013, 03:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

Seems like this has happened to a lot of us. Fortunately not to me yet but to my former boss. And not long after he had purchased a 1/2 of steer plus his venison. I've had a circuit breaker trip but was lucky enough to realize in time before the freezers and contents had time to defrost.
Old 10-11-2013, 05:21 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Got an idea for you guys......

I had a similar experience so to my freezer outlet I added a lighted receptacle at least telling me from a distance the electrical circuit is live and well.,...and I wired in a bright green LED to the Freezer wiring to tell me the Freezer is alive.........

And I even added a green L.E.D. to my electric fencer outlet to tell at a distance my bee fence which does keep out bears nicely is alive......as it is part of a GFI system...

The L.E.D.s are cheap and can be had from Radio Shack

Just an idea

JW

Last edited by JW; 10-11-2013 at 05:24 AM.
Old 10-11-2013, 06:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I lost 2 freezers full in 3 years. That's why we can most of the meat now.
Good luck on refilling it quickly!
Old 10-15-2013, 01:56 PM
Spike

in 94 we had a bad ice storm in the middle of February and the power was off for 16 days. a bad time not to have a gas powered gen. we tried hard but you can eat only so much deer meat in that short of time. i cooked fish one of the weekends and fed about 20 or 30 folks, then the temp went to the 70's and we had to feed the rest of my meat to the buzzards.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.