Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Savage Muzzleloader >

Savage Muzzleloader

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Savage Muzzleloader

Old 09-13-2013, 08:24 PM
Spike

Default Savage Muzzleloader

A local guy's got one for sale and I'm thinking about buying it. Does anybody have any experience with them? I understand they can shoot smokeless powder?
Old 09-13-2013, 08:59 PM
Dominant Buck

Yes, they are a true smokeless muzzleloader. They are top quality from all I have read about them. But I never owned one.
Old 09-14-2013, 04:36 AM
Spike

I've hunted with a savage MLII for the better part of of the past 12plus years. It's a wonderful Ml. A bit on the temperamental side as far as loads goes . Getting past the smokeless learning curve can be quite frustrating for some folks.

My two shoot 452 xtp with mmp short black sabots well with 42 gr vvn110. I have recently switched to .458 Hornady inter bond bullets with Harvester black crush ribbed and 64 gr REL 7. I found it to be a little more accurate. But not by much,
Old 09-14-2013, 05:44 AM
Fork Horn

I know a lot of folks on these forums don't care for Randy Wakeman at randywakeman.com, but he does have a lot of space devoted to the Savage muzzleloaders. Savage has come a long way in the quality and variety of their product in the last few years. You may be able to get their Accu-Trigger retrofitted to this gun if it doesn't have one. The gun is currently out of production.
Old 09-14-2013, 06:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

Speaking of Randy. Here's some info.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/savage_ML_FAQ.htm
Old 09-14-2013, 10:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

You might want to ask again if its a MLII or a MLI. The earliest models used a 209 "module", different breach plug and a "real" CF action. The feds made them change the design or reclassify it since you could basically swap a barrel and make it a CF. The MLII is a dedicated ML action and the 209 primer is held in the bolt nose. It also will likely already have a Accu-Trigger. I cant say i think too highly of the trigger. Its ok and it can be upgraded to a Timney or SSS.

I own 2 of them. One is a 50cal SS with a laminate stock. It shoots 300gr-325gr bullets as fast as you would probably ever desire. Some of RWs info is spot one. Powders slower than the "book powders" produce some very nice results at even lower pressures.

He has a good read on the Savage using N120 and Reloder7 which are both pretty accurate and IMO better powders than the current recommended powders with a 300gr bullet. Some the the 250gr bullets do pretty good with the recommended powders though but ive shot very few 250gr in mine. One of my custom built 50cal smokeless MLs shoots lighter bullets so well, i don't even desire to shoot them in my Savage.

They can be very picky though. There are a few issues you need to look out for such as a front scope base resting on the recoil lug and sabots loading too loose. Not only will accuracy suffer but it might not even ignite with a loose fit. Dougs message board has all the info you need about shooting them with far less problems.

My other Savage has a aftermarket 45cal barrel and seems to shoot anything you can shove down the barrel. Converting them to a 45cal can be done for less than $400 and they shoot fantastic with lots of loads. The barrels are far more consistent than a OEM barrel but that is kind of the point of a aftermarket barrel.

RW never really did like the 45cal conversions, which is pretty funny because nearly every convert loves them and its simple to switch them back.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 09-14-2013 at 10:44 PM.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:54 PM
Spike

If you buy the Savage then buy a truck load of vent liners. I have found they burn out after about thirty shots. You will need a good drill bit to keep the breech plug clean as well. You will need to read every thing you can on the Chuck Hawks and Randy Wakeman web post. After I bought my Savage I found it very informative in helping to find the right load for my gun. Just saying for me I shoot a Knight with Blackhorn 209 and have found it's a lot better combination.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:49 AM
Spike

Location: Virginia, near the Rappahannock where fresh water turns salty

For all things Savage ML go here.

http://dougsmessageboards.proboards.com/

I have 3 MLIIs and they are great. You can shoot anything from black powder to BlackHorn 209 to the recommended smokeless loads. They can be finicky with the smokeless powder but once you find the load your gun likes you'll never shoot black or subs again. 10 ga
Old 09-17-2013, 11:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by DiscMan
If you buy the Savage then buy a truck load of vent liners. I have found they burn out after about thirty shots. You will need a good drill bit to keep the breech plug clean as well. You will need to read every thing you can on the Chuck Hawks and Randy Wakeman web post. After I bought my Savage I found it very informative in helping to find the right load for my gun. Just saying for me I shoot a Knight with Blackhorn 209 and have found it's a lot better combination.
Ive gotten over 70 shots on a vent liner with N120 and its still going strong. Im using Lehigh vent liners in mine just like the ones in the Knights but mine are removable. Plus i can get a tungsten bushing plug version if i wish that lasts for 100s of shots before it needs a new "vent" bushing.

It seems to me i have to remove the carbon in my Lehigh/Knight bare primer plugs occasionally also so that is a rather moot point. Thats pretty common standard maintenance on nearly any 209 inline muzzleloader using BH209 or smokeless. Its even listed on Westerns website.

Since i own MANY older Knights and a limited edition GMB54-120 all with the real Lehigh breach plugs, i feel im very qualified to post this opinion. Dougs has all the info needed to make a Savage shoot very well and a supplier that offers nearly any item you could ever wish to upgrade.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 09-17-2013 at 11:18 AM.