Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Let's see your LAST deer killed with a muzzleloader!!! >

Let's see your LAST deer killed with a muzzleloader!!!

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Let's see your LAST deer killed with a muzzleloader!!!

Old 09-09-2013, 05:48 AM
Spike

Old 09-09-2013, 06:31 AM
Fork Horn

Old 09-09-2013, 06:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

My wife took a doe in the early season with her .54 Hawken percussion and I took one on New year's day during our Late season with a .50 Firestorm flintlock.

Our herd has been pounded relentlessly in the past decade. The days of sitting in the woods and seeing 40-50 deer are long gone. Nowadays seeing a half dozen is a good day. I apply for as many tags as I can get each year just to keep them out of the hands of those who feel "obligated" to fill every tag in their household just because they can. My wife and I still love to hunt and we never take more than we will use up between us. Property in the area I grew up in is so broken up anymore there aren't many of us "natives" left and many of those who come in from other parts of the state or from other states could care less about how we feel about conserving our local deer herd.

BPS

Last edited by Blackpowdersmoke; 09-10-2013 at 06:54 AM.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:59 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Blackpowdersmoke
My wife took a doe in the early season with her .54 Hawken percussion and I took one on New year's day during our Late season with a .50 Firestorm flintlock.

Our herd has been pounded relentlessly in the past decade. The days of sitting in the woods and seeing 40-50 deer are long gone. Nowadays seeing a half dozen is a good day. I apply for as many tags as I can get each year just to keep them out of the hands of those who feel "obligated" to fill every tag in their household just because they can. My wife and I still love to hunt and we never take more than we will use up between us. Property in the area I grew up in is so broken up anymore there aren't many of us "natives" left and many of those who come in from other parts of the state or from other states could care less about how we feel about conserving our local deer herd.

BPS
Good times sir. Its wonderful that you have a wife that you can share that with. Mine has nothing to do with it.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

There is a lot that my wife wants nothing to do with......................
Old 09-09-2013, 01:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

This is the first buck ever shot with my new TC. 100grs of T7 and a 250gr bonded shock wave. Got him last fall during the Oct. muzzie season.
Attached Thumbnails Let's see your LAST deer killed with a muzzleloader!!!-101_2398.jpg   Let's see your LAST deer killed with a muzzleloader!!!-img_3947.jpg  
Old 09-10-2013, 07:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by gregrn43
This is the first buck ever shot with my new TC. 100grs of T7 and a 250gr bonded shock wave. Got him last fall during the Oct. muzzie season.
You folks that are allowed to take a buck in the early ML season are fortunate. I doubt that we'll ever see that here in PA. The archery and rifle hunters would strongly oppose it. I think that ALL of the primitive seasons should precede the regular firearms seasons.

BPS
Old 09-10-2013, 09:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

I guess we are lucky here in Virginia. We get six tags, three anterless and three any sex. Our season start the first saturday in Oct for archery and then go to two weeks of ML in the first weeks of november. Then gun season starts in the middle of November until the firs saturday in January.

I have never tagged out, because I don't have room in my freezer and I only take what I need. I usually take maybe two deer a year and then maybe two for friends who could use the meat or hunters for the hungry. I can say we have plenty of deer here in Virginia and I see plenty of deer during the season.

I shoot more photos then bullets!!! I love the outdoors and love sitting in the woods in the early hours of the day and just love to watch and listen!!!
Old 09-10-2013, 10:14 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Blackpowdersmoke
You folks that are allowed to take a buck in the early ML season are fortunate. I doubt that we'll ever see that here in PA. The archery and rifle hunters would strongly oppose it. I think that ALL of the primitive seasons should precede the regular firearms seasons.

BPS
Back in the early 90's we hunted Ohio and we could only hunt 1 Buck. No Does. Then about 94 they changed it where we could hunt 1 Doe.

Tn laws are so relaxed. Basically we can kill 3 Bucks per season. Its crazy the number of Does we can kill. Something like a doe a day once the season kicks in. Maybe more. I have never have been in a position to test it.
Old 09-10-2013, 04:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Unlimited does here in NC and either 2-4 bucks depending upon which end of the state you live in...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.