Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

.50 Cal Boresight

Old 09-07-2013, 09:38 AM
Spike

Default .50 Cal Boresight

Yesterday I ordered a CVA Optima V2 that I will need to boresight. Seeing that I will use this boresight sparingly, what is a good boresight that is reasonably priced. Or should I just take it to my local gun shop and pay for them to do it?
Thanks,
Ron
Old 09-07-2013, 09:51 AM
Dominant Buck

Personally I mounted numerous scopes and never used a bore sight. I am not saying they are not a nice thing to have, but for what little I use them I can't justify their cost. If it is one rifle and you don't want to do the home method of bore sighting take it to a gun smith.

What I do is set the rifle in a gun rest. Make sure the rifle barrel is level if possible. With the breech plug removed, at 13 yards look through the barrel and aim it at a spot. I use a door knob. Then look through the rifle scope and see where it is. Without moving the rifle, move the cross hairs to that same spot.

Then sight in your first shot at 13 yards. Make it dead on a bull. You can now move to any distance between that and 100 yards and should be "on paper." Then just adjust the scope at the distance you want.

My gunsmith bore sighted a rifle for me since I purchased the scope from him, He then said.. "well that should get you on paper." A bore sight does not guarantee you are on target. Just normally in the ball park.
Old 09-07-2013, 09:55 AM
1874sharpsshooter

Bore sighting a muzzleloader has never been effective for me I wouldn't bother

Old 09-07-2013, 10:05 AM
Boone & Crockett

I use Cayugad's method, except I pick out a spot about 100 yards out on which to align the bore and scope.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:09 AM
Spike

That's what I was thinking but wasn't sure. I bought a cheap boresighter for my .30-06 and will probably never use it again unless i swap scopes. Since i have a Nikon on the -06, it will most likely stay with the gun. I appreciate your advice and will give it a try when my rifle comes in and I get my scope mounted.
Old 09-07-2013, 11:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

Boresighted a lot of guns the old fashioned way. About 10 years a go i bought a laser boresighter.

i laser boresight the gun in the house. The first round is always on the 50 yard target. Seldom are more than 5-7 rounds required to sight the gun in, that includes a three shot group in the bullseye.

A laser boresighter makes it so much easier.