Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Bought a FireHawk Today >

Bought a FireHawk Today

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Bought a FireHawk Today

Old 08-26-2013, 07:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Bought a FireHawk Today

Went pawnshop hopping this morning. At my third shop there was a .54 FireHawk with a sticker price of $175. Told the counter lady i might come back with an offer. The shop owner lady said: "I'll take 100 buck for it". Out came the plastic money card and the gun came home with me. The gun has nice sights, the bore is perfect and the stock is scratched in a few places.

i know nothing about these older TC inline guns except the fact they do not have breechplugs. This one is set up for musket caps.

Will it shoot conicals?

Last edited by falcon; 08-26-2013 at 07:57 AM.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Correct. no breach plug and they make or made 2 style of "nipples". One is called a Flame Thrower and IMO is total garbage. It throws flames alright!!!!!! I dont remember if i tried the musket cap but it should be reliable.

The 54cal is a 1-38 twist

The triggers are very very good for a meat and potatoes rifle. Possibly a real Timney but i cant remember what mine looked like. You are not supposed to remove them from the action according to T/C.

Stick with nipples without the flame thrower label (harder to find now) and the 209 conversions are all FT versions and terrible IMO. LOT and LOTS of blowback with any Flame Thrower but the 209 has a habit of tearing 209 primers apart also.

Keeping the "plug" nipple threads and short passage clean is a must and a bit inconvenient but not impossible. Mine did not look like the entire hole for the nipple was threaded and it gets dirty (obliviously) resulting in hang fires.

Mine shot rounds balls ok with about 80gr of Pyro RS. Not great but still good enough for 50 yard shooting.

435gr Bullshops shot ok too but i forgot the charge. Its my friends load after i sold it to him. I used Maxi Hunters IIRC but its been so long im not sure.

I used to shoot the MMP 54x50 sabot also and a Barnes 275gr Expander MZ with 100gr of T7. Still not great but good enough for sub 10 yard shooting. Shorter bullets should work even better in the slow twist.

Sorry, i cant remember more atm, ive got a few things going on atm.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:10 AM
Dominant Buck

I knew one person that owned one of them, He shot maxiball out of it and took deer every year, so it must have been accurate. That was the ancestor of the Black Diamond.
Old 08-26-2013, 01:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not familiar with the firehawk, but I found an online manual.
http://www.tcarms.com/assets/manuals...awk_Manual.pdf
I'd get one of those adapters you replace the nipple with and put a vinyl hose in a bucket of water for cleaning if it were mine.
Old 08-26-2013, 03:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

I'd get one of those adapters you replace the nipple with and put a vinyl hose in a bucket of water for cleaning if it were mine
Thanks, i'll do that.
Old 08-26-2013, 04:28 PM
Typical Buck

Great gun I had for a long time in 54 cal. I will say I been out in all types of weather condition rain,snow, sleet the gun never let me down.
ONLY 1 time it failed to fire when I switch to a musket cap stay with the t/c flame thrower nipple and RWS 1075 plus caps if you can find them.
Old 08-26-2013, 05:06 PM
Spike

Location: Virginia, near the Rappahannock where fresh water turns salty

I have 2 Firehawks and they were my bread and butter ML for years. In 06 Got a Savage MLII and never looked back. My firehawks shot very good. They are 50 cal. I shot mostly 250 SST in sabots for 1st shot and field reload 250+- gr. belted bullets. 2 shots a day for ML hunting is a lot. With the sabots need to swab between shots to load. 85 gr. of 777 was really accurate and I took deer out to 150 easy. Be sure to put a "bra" on any scope as the blow from the open bolt will burn stuff. I'd suggest you try any of the 54 sabot bullets and get to 0 like every shot was 1st shot of day, ie: clean cold barrel. Then see what shoots close in the belted line for field reloads or carry a jag and couple patches and swab after every shot even in the field. My firehawks were extremely accurate and I would still be using them if I hadn't gone smokeless ML. 10
Old 08-27-2013, 04:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Buddy of mine has one, it shoots well...but real tough to load 2nd shot without swabbing. 3rd is impossible. But hey, you really only need the first shot anyhow
Old 08-28-2013, 06:36 AM
Typical Buck

I did find maybe three shot before the grud ring on mine using RWS 1075 caps and triple 777.
I did favor Goex 3F powder 115 grains with the silverlighting 300 grain bullet or Buffalo SSB 325 to 375 grain HP bullets
I would never of sold the gun if I could have used BH209 powder in the gun,I did replace the gun with the CVA Optima thumbhole set up GUN SHOOTS GREAT
Old 08-28-2013, 06:33 PM
Typical Buck

my hunting partner's got one 50 cal ss with black plastic stock shots 209 and he used maxehunters and like 80 grains of pyrodex. shot a bunch of deer with it... he's got a red dot on it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.