Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Left-handed Buckhorn??? >

Left-handed Buckhorn???

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Left-handed Buckhorn???

Old 08-22-2013, 03:55 PM
Spike

Default Left-handed Buckhorn???

How hard would it be to reverse the cocking lever on a Buckhorn? I am left-handed and was thinking since the lever is behind the breech-plug maybe I could just drill the slot into the other side and reassemble the lever on the left. Did I bump my head, or does this sound feasible? I wouldn't attempt this on a more expensive gun, just figured since this gun is only $125, I wouldn't be ruining a piece of art if it didn't work. Does anyone have experience converting an ML to left-handed? If so, which model? Thank you for constructive input and please keep the laughter to a minimum.
Old 08-22-2013, 05:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

Why bother? I'm a lefty too and I shoot a lot of RH rifles. I don't see any problem just leaving it the way it is.
Old 08-22-2013, 05:24 PM
Spike

Thanks for your response. I guess I still have to get use to the idea that no spent cartridges will be jumping out of the receiver, lol.
Old 08-22-2013, 05:36 PM
Dominant Buck

I have three White Rifles, and all of them come with a left sided cocking lever on the hammer striker. You'd think that would be a problem, but actually once you start shooting it, it never even crosses your mind. Like you said, no shell jumps out, and its not rapid fire.

Now a left handed shooter can have problems getting used to a flintlock that is for a right handed shooter. Only because the spark and flash is so close to the dominant eye. But even they master that with time.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by cayugad
Now a left handed shooter can have problems getting used to a flintlock that is for a right handed shooter. Only because the spark and flash is so close to the dominant eye. But even they master that with time.
It takes a fairly good amount of focus and practice until you get to the point where you can ignore the flash.