Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Hornady FPB loading tip >

Hornady FPB loading tip

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Hornady FPB loading tip

Old 08-13-2013, 06:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Hornady FPB loading tip

Went out to shoot some FPBs this last weekend. I have always just placed them on top of the muzzle (no QLA) and balanced a short starter on top and given them a "whap" with my other palm. Never worked out perfect and seemed like many times I would get them started crooked.

But this time, I simply positioned them on the end of the muzzle and with only finger pressure and a very slight amount of side to side wiggling, was able to start the rear flared end into the barrel. With the bullet thus started, I was able to put the short started on top and they loaded straight every time and it only took an extra 5 seconds to do it.

This was for a knight LRH and a T/C renegade barrel. Both barrels worked with this method. Give it a try and see if it works for you!
Old 08-13-2013, 07:15 PM
Dominant Buck

Thanks.. that is the one fault I always had with them to. I will try that next time.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

tx, I've never used those bullets but I do have a question: Have you tried any experiments to see if the difference in loading effects accuracy? It would be interesting to see the results of such a test.
Old 08-14-2013, 03:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have not noticed any big difference but I have always worried that it would cause a flier.
Old 08-14-2013, 04:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

Looking at the design I don't think you would have too much of an issue. IMO unless you really bugger up the side of the bullet the 'skirt' should reshape itself from the internal pressure as it expands against he wall of the bore. That pressure is much more than the damage you and the short starter impart on it.
Old 08-16-2013, 05:29 PM
Spike

In my Optima I usually push them thru the breech to the muzzle and then when needed just line them up with the grooves and they load nice and easy.
Old 08-18-2013, 03:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have tried that, but I use BH 209 which really needs a firm seating to go off. When I have run them through beforehand, they seem to be looser in the barrel the second go around. Probably wouldn't matter with 777/pyrodex.
Old 08-23-2013, 06:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Used these bullets for a couple of years and never had an issue. These bullets are some of the most accurate bullets I have shot! I think you are putting too much in to this my friend!
Old 08-28-2013, 01:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

When I get a new pack, I push them all, nose first, through the barrel and out the breech (plug removed) onto a soft landing pad. They load like a dream after that. Never had an issue with accuracy or slipping off the charge.