Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Not enough time

Old 06-25-2013, 12:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Not enough time

I hadnt been spending much time on here lately. The wife and I have been traveling down to south Arkansas every chance we get catfishing near where the Arkansas and Mississippi rivers meet. We went this past weekend and done really good. In 3 days we froze 50 quart bags of fillets. We caught whites and channels, no flatheads on this trip, but they are all good eating. I havent done any muzzy shooting as of lately, but I am hoping to get up to the cabin in the near future and see if I can smoke me a hog. Hope all of y'all are doing ok.
Old 06-25-2013, 04:07 AM
Boone & Crockett

Catfishing - it's what for Summer. I like the ten to twelve inchers fried whole.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well ,I wish I could do some fishing or shooting. I got nail by a person that crossed the double yellow lines wrecked my truck and damaged my back so for going on 3 months I have been looking out the window.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

Man, that stinks Lee. I hope you're fully recovered and mobile soon. Deer season isn't that far off.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Semisane
Catfishing - it's what for Summer. I like the ten to twelve inchers fried whole.
Me too!!!

Whole fried catfish is some good eating.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

What's better eating, the channel, flathead, or whites? We have the channels and flatheads up here and last week I caught a nice 16" channel on a wooly bugger (little black feather jig) by accident. Should of kept it.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

I prefer channel cat but some of the others are good too. It depends on size and water quality. Flathead get pretty tough and strong flavored when they get big. Most catfish do IMO but at least hot sauce helps with the taste. I seldom catch small flatheads.

Blue cat are not very popular around here for eating. Around here blues are basically the same as a white catfish but come from a different area. Soaking any of them in buttermilk can help out a lot to improve flavor but its never as good a small one fried whole. IMO the bones add a nice flavor when cooked whole but they still need to be fairly small.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 06-25-2013 at 10:27 AM.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:34 AM
Fork Horn

Hope you have a fast recovery and get better soon so you can get back after 'em. Sorry to hear about your accident.

Paul
Old 06-25-2013, 11:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by lemoyne
Well ,I wish I could do some fishing or shooting. I got nail by a person that crossed the double yellow lines wrecked my truck and damaged my back so for going on 3 months I have been looking out the window.
Ouch - sorry to hear about that Lee. Hope you get well soon. As for the catfish. I used to love going to the river for them and having Mom fry them up in butter and onions after I skinned them. But I hear that eating fish from the old Susquehanna isn't too healthy anymore.
I would like to get my license and go after some if I knew a nice clean stream where they were around my parts. You got my mouth watering as I type this.

Last edited by bronko22000; 06-25-2013 at 11:59 AM.