Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Working up a load for my Disc Extreme >

Working up a load for my Disc Extreme

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Working up a load for my Disc Extreme

Old 05-20-2013, 11:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Working up a load for my Disc Extreme

Finally have some range pics I’m not embarrassed to post.
Had the morning off so I got out to the range to see if I could zero my scope and work on some powder loads on my new to me Disc Extreme.

Goal was to see what amount of powder my gun likes shooting a .44cal/240gr bullet. I am using up some Hornady XTPs with supplied sabots that I got with the gun. No idea how old they are but they load snug in my barrel. I use the Speer DC .44/240s for hunting, likely they will shoot pretty close to the XTPs.

On shot at 25yds to make sure on paper, rought adjust of the windage/elevation, another to make sure I’m roughly in the bull. Then out to 75yds. Worked powder loads of 80, 90 and 100gr of BH209. Primers were CCI 209Ms. I would rather use non magnum primers but I got a brick of the CCIs with the Disc Extreme so I’m gonna see if they work.
The results:

Pretty happy with the accuracy so far. Not a ton of difference between 80, 90 and 100 grains. The recoil difference is very noticeable. Would love to know the velocity differences. I should likely shoot more than three shot groups but will fine tune at 100yds eventually.
Also shot the X7 a bit (top left). Was excited after the second shot but the curse of the third shot happened.
A good day. Next time I’ll start at 100 yds and try some different bullet/sabot combinations.

Last edited by hubby11; 05-20-2013 at 04:34 PM.
Old 05-20-2013, 03:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Anywhere form 1 to 1.5 ich groups at 75 yards. Not too bad. Zero them in and they'll be deadly.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Looking good in my book. I'll take that any day of the week. If it was me, I'd stick with the 80 grains if you are not going to be shooting past 150 yards - less recoil and less $$$ per shot