Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Cabin Fever Lowered >

Cabin Fever Lowered

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Cabin Fever Lowered

Old 04-18-2013, 10:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Cabin Fever Lowered

The cabin fever i felt wasn't too bad, but i knew it was there, so i took my rifle, and left home.

It has a 1.5-5 scope with a cds dial. It was loaded with 110g Blackhorn Powder, 270g Deep Curl bullet, green crush rib sabot, and W209 primer.

Snow wasn't too very bad where the target was placed, however there was quite a swirly breeze, and snow was blown off the trees in all kinda direction. The rifle was taken out to 200 yard, and 2 shots at the bottom target, were taken using the 270g Deep Curl load. Them hole are dyed green. Then the rifle was loaded with 300g Deep Curl, and 3 more shots taken. The swirly breeze kinda made shooting not so very fun, so i called it quits. It was 26 degrees when the shooting ended.

A new gps had also come along with, and while in the hills i played with it some. It has the ability to carry downloaded satellite photo, and this was a first for me, and quite fun. I am thinking i will really like having the photos on the unit whilst hunting this coming fall. It was cool to see where i was on a satellite photo, and also see the flora around the corner where i was headed. This unit also has 2 other maps loaded into it. One map provided by the state fish & game, shows all the private land in the state on which free walk in hunting is allowed. The other map is a contour map, with a 20' contour interval, that also shows property ownership of the land one is on. These maps can be enabled, or disabled at will, and one can also have more than one map, or the photos, enabled simultaneously.

Anyway, it was fun being outside for a while.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

You don't normally go out in snow?
Old 04-18-2013, 12:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Snow is cold and icky.
Old 04-18-2013, 12:59 PM
Fork Horn

Nice shooting, & a beautiful rifle, question (if you don't mind) do you always use BH ? the reason I ask is I purchased an Omega & being I have quite a lot of Trip 7 I am planning on using it, but following your performance with the BH I may have to switch, Thanks
& I have better words to describe that snow, especially this time of year!!, Taken a few minutes ago, & more in the forcast!!!

Old 04-18-2013, 01:07 PM
Dominant Buck

That sounds like a heck of a GPS you got there. And nice shooting too.

We of course had freezing rain all day, and they are talking a couple more inches of snow tonight and then snow all day tomorrow.. so I will hold off on the shooting. Snow is still deep in the range.

That is a real interesting scope you have on that rifle. And it looks like it sure can handle the job.
Old 04-18-2013, 01:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

My cabin fever is going to be chilled this weekend. I am taking the grandson out for the youth day for spring gobbler and then up to the cabin for hte rest of the weekend to do some chores and relax. No phone, elec, running water. Just peace and quiet for 2 or 3 days.
Old 04-18-2013, 03:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

My rule: I do not shovel snow in April!!! EVER!!!!!!!!!!!

We got 6 inches on Friday.

Your shooting spot looks very similar to spot where I shoot. Same kind of path and everything. Just don't step off the beaten trail or you'll find out how deep the snow really is.

Good to see the fever has been broken!

HA
Old 04-18-2013, 04:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice looking gun you got there. Temp here yesterday was 85 right now its 46. This is some kind of weather were having.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by DocD
.............do you always use BH ?...............
Yes, ever since it was available to purchase.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
My cabin fever is going to be chilled this weekend. I am taking the grandson out for the youth day for spring gobbler and then up to the cabin for hte rest of the weekend to do some chores and relax. No phone, elec, running water. Just peace and quiet for 2 or 3 days.
You are blessed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.