Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
What range to use when developing a load? >

What range to use when developing a load?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

What range to use when developing a load?

Old 04-10-2013, 05:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default What range to use when developing a load?

Well I finally got my Disc Extreme to the range. Open sights, shooting some 240 XTPs with BH209. Main goal was to see how it shoots with the primers I have. The guy that sold it to me included all the bullets/sabots he had and a full case of CCI 209M primers. I know that the Winchesters are the ideal primers but was hoping the CCIs would work. Turns out they worked just fine, easy to load, locked up snug, ejected easy. In fact, none of the primers I used ever got stuck – this includes the Remington STS and Federals. About 1 1/2 inches at 50 yards with a good rest. Very happy.
So now to get serious working up a load. “Borrowed” the Vortex Viper 2-7x32 from my Sako .308 and used the Durasights I picked up for about $14 (delivered – a great deal!).

So, to my question – what range should I use to work up a load? With my Omega X7, I used 50 and 75 yards. Where I hunt, 100 yards would be the max, most of my shots are less than 50.
I guess another way of asking the question would be, if I develop a powder/load that works the best at 50 yards, would that also be the best at 100?

Last edited by hubby11; 04-11-2013 at 01:55 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 04-10-2013, 05:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

I've always thought the most efficient range for working up a load is 50 yards. Shorter distances, like 25 yards, may not show enough difference in group size to judge. Longer distances are fine, but require more walking to and from the target and may magnify sighting errors or changes in how the gun is addressed.

Get a bad group at 50 yards and you can remove the load from the "I might use this" list. Get a good group and you can stretch out the range with that load and see how it holds up at longer distances for as far out as you want to go.

Last edited by Semisane; 04-10-2013 at 05:42 PM.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:54 PM
Dominant Buck

I first insist the rifle clover leafs the load at 25 yards. Then its back to 50 yards for me. There I work on the powder charges until I find just the right one. After that I sometimes move back to 75 yards. But for me that is a long shot where I hunt. Its more of a self assurance for me. If I get really good results at 75, I will move back to 100 just because its exciting to see what the rifle can do. But I normally will sight in most of my rifles at 50 yards.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well, I guess its a personal preference. The only time I use 25 or 50 is for '0' ing a scope, 100 yds for working up groups and 250 silhouettes for fun.
Have had decent groups at 50 yds that did not hold together at 100.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

I get on paper at 50 but work up loads at 100...

I also use a spotting scope, cuts down on the walking...
Old 04-10-2013, 07:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I work up loads at 100, but my shots are a lot further than yours on average - the last few years for me have been 80 - 150 yards. In your situation, I would think that 50 yards would be just fine, 75 yards might be a bit better. In your situation, if you are sighted in at 75 yards and getting good groups, you should be very confident to close the deal on anything you encounter.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the replies. Thinking I will see how easy it is to get close to the bullseye at 50, and then make a decision. If it looks like my initial load gets a decent spread, I can move right to 100. If not, I'll stick around 50 and 75 for a bit. In any case I will want to know how the gun is shooting at 100 yards. Hopefullly it won't take too long to get there.

But first Carlos needs to send me more Blackhorn!
Old 04-11-2013, 12:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

My preference is 50 yds. I do my hunting in areas that are very crowded and thick.

As far as primers go the Winchester is the weakest 209 primer on the market. They are at the bottom of the scale in flash strength. The CCI and Federal magnums are at the top of that scale. Found that out when I had some problems shooting BH209 in my Knight Vision with Winchester primers. Company for the BH209 told me to use the stronger primers. Didn't know any of this about primers till this all happened.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:00 AM
Spike

I have found that 50 yards is a great place to start and find a load, I can tell you if it want shoot at 50, it want shoot at 100. If you know your load you can set your gun up to shoot a little high at 50 and it will be spot on at a 100
Old 04-12-2013, 05:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by rafsob
My preference is 50 yds. I do my hunting in areas that are very crowded and thick.

As far as primers go the Winchester is the weakest 209 primer on the market. They are at the bottom of the scale in flash strength. The CCI and Federal magnums are at the top of that scale. Found that out when I had some problems shooting BH209 in my Knight Vision with Winchester primers. Company for the BH209 told me to use the stronger primers. Didn't know any of this about primers till this all happened.
As far as primers go the Winchester is the weakest 209 primer
I have to disagree with that in both the ramrod test and the ball test Win 209 came out about 1/3 of the way up the chart. The Foschini came out the weakest in both presure and flame tempture.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.