Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

777 crud ring

Old 09-22-2003, 08:23 PM

Default 777 crud ring

How can I get rid of a crud ring.
Old 09-23-2003, 12:32 PM

Default RE: 777 crud ring

Using Breakfree CLP as a bore protectant seems to help-- as I' ve never had the crud ring problem.
Old 09-24-2003, 05:33 AM
Typical Buck

If you find out let me know too,maybe I' ll try it again.I have shot 4 lbs of it in 5 different rifles and get it in everyone of them.Have seen others try it in theirs at the range and they all had the same problem.Tried it again monday and had to take it apart 3 times just to get my ram rod back out.
Would like to see some of these guys shoot theirs with no problems with the crude ring,maybe they ship a different batch here.
I haven' t tried the pellets so don' t know what they do.Been shooting muzzleloaders for a good many years and never had the same problem with black,pyro or cleanshot.
Old 09-24-2003, 06:23 AM

I shoot the T7 pellets. My Traditions inline doesn' t have a crud ring problem, I can shoot a few shots, run a patch and keep going w/ no problem.

My Optima on the other hand is very hard to load the 2nd shot. Both guns are cleaned the same way.

I' ve read on a few boards some guys are having success w/ what Randy suggested. I might get some and try it.
Old 09-24-2003, 05:20 PM

I used the T7 pellets and have the crud ring, still havent found anything to take it out. I have tried about everything.
Old 09-30-2003, 07:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

If you find out let me know too,maybe I' ll try it again.I have shot 4 lbs of it in 5 different rifles and get it in everyone of them.Have seen others try it in theirs at the range and they all had the same problem.Tried it again monday and had to take it apart 3 times just to get my ram rod back out.
Would like to see some of these guys shoot theirs with no problems with the crude ring,maybe they ship a different batch here.
I haven' t tried the pellets so don' t know what they do.Been shooting muzzleloaders for a good many years and never had the same problem with black,pyro or cleanshot.
Me too!! Same problems with 777 in two .45' s, two .50' s, and a .54 Kodiak double!! Quit using it !!
Old 09-30-2003, 06:55 PM
XTP

Crud ring...???? What is this about? I thought that stuff was supposed to be cleaner than pyrodex!! Am I missing something...I was going to try T7 this year.Are there any real advantages over pyrodex??
Old 09-30-2003, 07:22 PM

Are you guys talking about the crud ring around the tip of the barrel?
Old 09-30-2003, 07:43 PM

Are there any real advantages over pyrodex??
No sulfur, no sulphates and similar salts in the fouling. Still hygroscopic, but does not produce hydrochloric acid as does Pyrodex, which can etch stainless steel.

Higher velocities per similar volumetric powder charge, or similar velocities with less recoil and a smaller volumetric charge.
Old 09-30-2003, 11:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

While working up a suitable load for my wife to hunt with I discovered that the crud ring only occurs at problem levels when heavier charges are used. I found that with a 70gr load of T7 2F there was virtually no crud ring at all in either my Knight Disc or my T/C White Mtn. Carbine. With 80gr there was a slight crud ring that only began to interfere with seating after 3-4 shots or so. 90 grains produced a crud ring that had to be cleaned out after 2-3 shots. With 100+ grains the crud ring became so bad that it made seating the bullet difficult and cleaning recommended after only one shot, but seating a second shot without cleaning was possible with extra effort. A third shot without cleaning wasn' t possible.

For comparison, I use a light coat of Breakfree CLP in the bore of my muzzleloaders after cleaning to protect them, but I still encounter the crud ring problem. I' ve encountered a little erratic accuracy from my Knight recently that I couldn' t explain. After making sure everything was tight I finally decided to very thouroughly clean and lap the bore with JB Bore Paste and haven' t yet been back out to the range with it. I' m hoping that the now HIGHLY polished bore will help prevent some of the crud from sticking to the barrel. It might be wishful thinking but if it does help that' ll be an added bonus.

Mike

Quick Reply: 777 crud ring

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.