Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
No reason to scratch... >

No reason to scratch...

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

No reason to scratch...

Old 03-23-2013, 06:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default No reason to scratch...

...the itch.
My wife says I can have a new muzzle loader. And I don't have an itch to scratch. Nor do I have any need for another muzzleloader. I have 2 of them now that I have never even shot. Now here's the real rub. Are you familiar with Traditions PA Pellet Flintlock rifle? I have found where it is on sale for about $100 less than what Traditions sells it for. It would be my introduction into a sport that I swore I would never get involved. That being the sport of shooting flintlock muzzle loaders. Please talk me out of making this horrific decision a reality.
Here's an interesting review.
http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/the-...ance-firearms/

Last edited by pluckit; 03-24-2013 at 03:49 AM.
Old 03-23-2013, 08:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's a blast to be honest. The Lyman Deerstalker is a much better choice in Flintlocks in my experience.
Old 03-24-2013, 03:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

The Lyman Deerstalker is over 200 dollars more and doesn't have a removable breech plug. I like that option and the Traditions is the only flintlock I am aware of that offers it. I also believe that the adjustable single trigger assembly on a traditions sidelock is second to none.
Old 03-24-2013, 05:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by pluckit
The Lyman Deerstalker is over 200 dollars more and doesn't have a removable breech plug. I like that option and the Traditions is the only flintlock I am aware of that offers it. I also believe that the adjustable single trigger assembly on a traditions sidelock is second to none.
Well then go buy it. T/C agate flints work great with no hang fires for me. Start looking around you should be able to get accessories pretty cheap now to use it.
Old 03-24-2013, 05:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

You shouldn't buy it because...

You know you came to the wrong place to be talked out of a muzzleloader. So just post pictures when you get it.
Old 03-24-2013, 06:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

I wish I could help you pluckit but I've been afflicted by the rock sparkers ailment.

So my advice is to just get it over with.

HA
Old 03-24-2013, 08:41 AM
Dominant Buck

I once attempted to purchase that exact rifle. I ordered the PA Pellet Flintlock 50 caliber. It has a 1-48 twist. And they shoot roundball and sabots very well from people who own them have told me. So I ordered one, the online store said it was in stock, then they emailed and said the one I ordered had been sold and were going to send me a camouflage model. I told them no thanks.. I like my rock locks natural looking.

The reason I was going to purchase one was because of the recommendations of two owners. Also, this is one that on the newer models I believe you can take the breech plug out of them for easier cleaning. But don't quote me on that. Also I have two Tradition Flintlocks. Both of them have excellent, fast locks. They are very good shooters. I instead purchased the Traditions Woodsman (better wood) in 50 caliber and it is a great flintlock rifle.

I was in the same boat as you.. I had an itch and could not see a rifle that scratched it. That was why I did what I did.. This last purchase should scratch me nice and deep and keep that itch at bay.
Old 03-24-2013, 06:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was checking reviews on the PA pellet and came across this. It's a little old though. Dated 12-29-2003.
Originally Posted by cayugad
First off let me say I know very little about flintlocks. I have shot a number of them and enjoyed it. I just never had the desire to learn to tune them. All my friends who own them tell me not to skimp on the lock. An inexpensive lock I was told by them is nothing but headaches.

Tradition's Rifles on the other hand I do own. I have two of them. Both of them will shoot excellent. I was shooting one the other day in fact and it always amazes me at how accurate a round ball is. Mine are cap locks.

The features of the PA Pellet flintlock is nice I admit. The 1-48 twist would shoot round ball as well as the conicals. They advertise that it will shoot sabots, so I am sure it would. How well is another question. They would have to be a small sabot to stabalize with that twist rate I believe. I was shooting sabots out of my Traditions Pioneer sidelcock with a 1-48 twist. They were 240 grain .44 caliber T/C Cheap Shots, and they shot real good actually. But I was only shooting 25 years and playing around.

The idea of a max load and the removable breech plug for cleaning is fantastic. It would sure make cleaning the rifle a snap. I would not get too excited about the fact it can use pellets. I would never recommend them to anyone. Granted some rifles have two pellets dropped in them and they are nail drivers. Loose powder is still the best way to custom tune your rifle. Also I think it is the cheapest way to go.

If I were shooting a flintlock I would be shooting black powder anyway. I would want the lower ignition point black powder has compared to the other propellents. And the fact it is needed for the pan.

Tradition's has a great warranty, and their customer service is excellent. I had to use them once for a minor problem and they were right there to help. If the lock is good, it would be a great gun. Other good rifles out there are the Lyman Trade Rifle, Lyman Great Plains Rifle and Hunter (the hunter being my favorite), and Thompson Center Arms. But you pay for what you get most of the time. You buy a brand name and you pay a brand name price. CVA makes flintlocks but I have not heard much about the quality of their locks. One thing to keep in mind, you can always change the lock to a better lock.

Which ever rifle you choose, good luck.
I was checking reviews on the PA Pellet and found this old post.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by pluckit
The T/C Firestorm has a removable breech plug and it was around before Traditions started using that feature. I have a Firestorm and it has been a very reliable rifle. I have several friends that have Traditions rifles and while their accuracy isn't bad, they are continually fussing with the locks (which I personally feel are chintzy). What you do with your money is your business, but if I was in the market for a flintlock and wasn't in a hurry, I would take my time and wait for something of better quality. There are deals out there to be had, just be patient.

BPS

Last edited by Blackpowdersmoke; 03-25-2013 at 07:22 AM.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:13 AM
Dominant Buck

I note.. on my Tradition's Woodsman Hawkens rifle, the frizzen is upgraded. If that accounts for the excellent lock time. My hunting buddy shoots a Traditons Kentucky model with the standard frizzen and I shot that, and never had any problems with it.

My two Lyman Rifles are excellent rifle. Their flintlocks are fantastic! Enough said. Just good locks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.