Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Hardcast for hunting? >

Hardcast for hunting?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Hardcast for hunting?

Old 03-21-2013, 08:53 AM
Spike

Default Hardcast for hunting?

Just wondering if any of ya all have ever used them, and how they perform?
Old 03-21-2013, 09:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

Get some of the Harvester 330gr Hardcast samples along with some sabots. They appear to be from a LBT smooth sided mold made for sabot use. Ive gotten them to shoot better than most hardcast bullets with lube grooves.

As far as hunting, a hardcast works best with a wide meplat and enough fps to displace tissue for a quick kill. They are designed to penetrate and the do that extremely well because they barely expand. IMO they perform best on high shoulder shots or when the shot angle requires more penetration to reach the vitals.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

They work great out of the 45 70 on everything.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

Just wondering if any of ya all have ever used them, and how they perform?
i've killed several hogs with my Encore and Black Diamond using the .429 280 grain hard cast bullet. The bullet always exited. This was one of the largest boar hogs i have ever killed. He was hit with the 280 grain hard cast bullet at a range of about 90 yards.

Shot that boar hog in May, 2012. i knew he was hit because of the way he ran off. Looked for two hours and could not find that hog. In January, 2013 i cut down a big cedar tree that had low limbs to the ground. The hogs bones were under the tree; about 120 yards from where he was hit.

Hated to lose him.