Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
HCMLA Memorial Shoot >

HCMLA Memorial Shoot

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

HCMLA Memorial Shoot

Old 03-03-2013, 04:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default HCMLA Memorial Shoot

Well today was the first ML Rondy shoot if the season for me.

The Men and Women of the Hells Canyon Muzzleloaders Association put on a Memorial shoot each spring. Club memebers and other ML shooters gather on the edge of the Snake River just west of Clarkston, WA. In the Lewiston, ID - Clarkston, WA area the Clearwater River dumps into the Snake River just a short distance north of Hells Canyon, deepest river gorge in the US.

The Lewis-Clark expedition passed through here on the way to the west coast and returned through the same area on the way home. Hence the name of the two towns... Lewis town and Clarks town. History leasson over.

Drove down from Moscow, Id this morning and down river out of Clarkston to the shooting area. Temperature wise... it was not all that bad. Lewiston-Clarkston is considered the 'Banana Belt' of Idaho-Washington...That does not take in account of the winds that can come down the canyon and try to get up and out of the walls of the canyon. This morning the wind was really working... Head gear was blowing all over the place... The problem with full brim hats.

Can not say i shot very well, but it still was fun to meet new people and complete with other shooters in the group. Going to these round ball get togethers is always fun and enjoyable. Most of the Rondies around this area really do not get to hung up on being completely in the 'period' in the manner of dress - they just deduct points form your card but you are totally accepted to enjoy the people and the food.

Here is a composite of a few pictures taken this morning...

Next shoot on the schedule for me is the Lolo Trail Muzzleloaders Spring Fling north of Orofino, ID in the area that Captain E.D. Pierce and a group of people found Gold (1860) and started the population boom of the Idaho Territory.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:06 PM
Dominant Buck

It looks like it was a lot of fun. Whether you shot well or not is not important. Just having fun is.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:06 AM
Typical Buck

Looks like fun.

Is this the one that has a multi station shooting course for the rifle?
Old 03-04-2013, 05:37 AM
Fork Horn

Hey Sabotloader, did they like your Knight Mountainer?
Old 03-04-2013, 06:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Josmund
Looks like fun.

Is this the one that has a multi station shooting course for the rifle?
Yes, It was a walking trail up the side of the canyon wall with various target you were suppose to hit then give your self a score. The first 3 targets I tried to explain the concept to my Renegade but it was not getting the point. After that it seemed to enjoy hitting things as much as I did... but it was still fun..
Old 03-04-2013, 06:05 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Dutch
Hey Sabotloader, did they like your Knight Mountainer?
I didn't use that! There are some limits... but I did think about using a Bloodline and sabot on a couple of the really long shots.... Sides they look at kinda puzzled when they ask me my Mountain Name and I tell them Sabotloader
Old 03-04-2013, 06:52 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by sabotloader
I didn't use that! There are some limits... but I did think about using a Bloodline and sabot on a couple of the really long shots.... Sides they look at kinda puzzled when they ask me my Mountain Name and I tell them Sabotloader
That is funny! Sounds like something Semisane would say.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sabotloader
Just tell them you're a progressive and you think it will be the next trend.
Looks like a lot of fun.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by SuperKirby
Just tell them you're a progressive and you think it will be the next trend.

LOL

Sounds like you had fun SL.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well I guess you could call a PRB a saboted load and that would make you a sabotloader!