Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Traditions Woodsman >

Traditions Woodsman

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Traditions Woodsman

Old 03-02-2013, 03:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Traditions Woodsman

Hello all. Normally I am a flintlock kind of guy but I have always thought it would be nice to have at least one percussion rifle in the collection. So I was looking at the Traditions Woodsman today. It seems like a decent rifle, it shouldered well and generally felt good. Does anyone have any thoughts on this particular rifle? My expectations are that this would be an entry level type of percussion rifle used primarily for target and beer can shooting and as a back-up hunting rifle if something goes wrong with the flinter.

Thanks.
Old 03-02-2013, 03:48 PM
Dominant Buck

The Traditions Woodsman Hawkens is not an entry level rifle. I own two of them. And old one which is a 50 caliber percussion with a 1-66 twist. And a newer model which is a 50 caliber flintlock with the 1-48 twist. The percussion model is a very reliable ignition rifle. The trigger pull is exceptional. And since the rifle is lighter then some of the T/C and Lyman rifles I own, its a pleasure to carry and to hunt with.

In fact I squirrel hunted with the percussion model one winter day. I was over run with pine (red) squirrels. So I sat out on the porch with my shooting sticks. I had discovered that with 40 grains of powder and a roundball it was deadly accurate. Even for snow shoe rabbits. Well I sat there on my porch on a nice warm winter day and shot four squirrels with four shots. The average shot was 25 yards maybe a hair less. All were head shots off the shooting sticks.

My Woodsman Flintlock is an exceptional rifle. A faster lock time, I have not found. It not only shoots roundball very well with the 1-48 twist, but it shoots a .430 240 grain XTP in a MMP HpH 24 sabot and 80 grains of powder so well, I took it deer hunting. I never saw horns that day, but did see a doe that made me itch. But due to lack of deer in the area I had set some standards, so she walked. It would have been an easy shot.

I personally like the Traditions Woodsman Hawkens rifle. They are beautiful wood, very good shooters, and just a real nice rifle for my collection.
Old 03-02-2013, 03:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Cayugad!

I did not mean to imply that the rifle is not a quality piece. I guess what I meant to say was that I was not looking for something historically accurate just a reliable rifle for casual shooting.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:16 PM
Dominant Buck

Well that fits the bill real nice. Personally I enjoy shooting the rifle. I will admit that when I first got the percussion model, it would not set caps off properly. I mailed it back to Traditions and they fixed it perfect, free of charge. I purchased that rifle from Sportsman's Guide when they first came out. Which is why it has the roundball twist. I have purchased three rifles from Sportsman's Guide, and everyone of them had to be sent back to the manufacturer for tuning. I almost wonder if they do not get second hand guns there or something.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by cayugad
I almost wonder if they do not get second hand guns there or something.
I've purchased more than one muzzle loader from The Sportsman's Guide with no issues and never a need to return a rifle. I just wanted to give another opinion of the rifles they sell.
Old 03-03-2013, 01:59 PM
Fork Horn

I own one with Percussion cap ignition, 1-48 twist. Solid and reliable. Shoots a wide variety of projectiles. Roundball, sabot loads and conicals. I've burned blackpowder, mostly, but it ignites 3F T7 equally well.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guys! I went out and bought the woodsman. I am hoping to get some range time with it in a week or so.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:14 PM
Spike

Guys i need some more useful information's related to the woods if anyone have more useful information's here than post here back i will appreciate him on this sharing...

Last edited by Nommen0; 09-29-2014 at 04:31 AM.