Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Muzzleloading

Old 02-20-2013, 04:58 PM
Spike

Default Muzzleloading

I have a 45 cal. Muzzleloader riffle that I have been using 45 power belts in. Can I use a 46 cal. Lead round ball instead. Also, I have a 44 cal. cap and ball pistol I've been using 44 cal. Lead round balls in. Can I use a 44 cal. Wadcutter or conical bullet or any other 44 cal for that matter in it?
Old 02-20-2013, 05:15 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by Gunner2121
I have a 45 cal. Muzzleloader riffle that I have been using 45 power belts in. Can I use a 46 cal. Lead round ball instead. Also, I have a 44 cal. cap and ball pistol I've been using 44 cal. Lead round balls in. Can I use a 44 cal. Wadcutter or conical bullet or any other 44 cal for that matter in it?
Most 45 caliber rifles would use a patch and a 0.440 diameter round ball. If this is an inline keep the powder charge low.

Depending on the make of your cap and ball revolver will determine what size ball it takes. The trouble you find loading lead bullets is their length and of course their diameter.

Advise the model and make of your weapons and better answers can be given.
Old 02-20-2013, 05:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would not advise you to change your projectile in that pistol. Not at all.

A 46 caliber round ball??
Old 02-20-2013, 06:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

Hey there Gunner. Welcome to the forum.

I suspect your thought about using a .46 caliber ball in your .45 caliber rifle stems from your experience with the black powder pistol, which typically is loaded with a slightly oversize lead ball so a little lead is shaved upon loading to provide a tight fit in the cylinder.

That's just not the case when balls are shot from a rifle. In rifles, slightly undersized balls are used with a lubricated cloth patch under the ball to take up the space between the ball and the bore, and provide a tight seal.

As Cayugad advised, a .440 diameter ball would be appropriate with a cloth patch that is somewhere around .015 to .018 thick. Appropriate patches can be purchased ready made, or you can cut out some yourself from pure cotton cloth of an appropriate thickness. Most guys use "pillow tick" cloth, which is available from most any fabric store by the yard and is generally around .018" thick. A half yard will make many many patches. Just cut one-inch squares from the cloth for the patch and lube them with olive oil or Canola oil or peanut oil, and you'll be on your way.

Hang around here a bit and you'll be an old hand at shooting PRBs (patched round balls) before you know it.

Last edited by Semisane; 02-20-2013 at 06:27 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome Gunner!
Old 02-22-2013, 11:42 AM
Spike

Thanks everyone for welcome and advice. The pistol is a Pietta 1858 Remmington on 44 cal. The manufacture suggests a .454 44 cal. lead ball. Can I use a .454 44 cal. bullet of anything other than a ball? Such as a conical or wadcutter? The riffle is a CVA 45 cal. that I've been loading with 45 cal. powerbelts. Can I use a 45 cal. round lead ball on it?