Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Muzzleloader Hunting >

Muzzleloader Hunting

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Muzzleloader Hunting

Old 02-14-2013, 08:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

Muley, I don't think you should feel bad about using a scope with a bit of magnification. You've paid your dues man, and have a valid reason for doing so. There's nothing wrong with using the available (and legal) technology to enjoy your hunts.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've been told that a lot, but i'll feel better with a 1X scope, and it suits my timber hunting better anyway. Plus, I won't have to push a maxi-ball to fast.

I might be tempted to take long shots with magnification. We can't have that.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
This thread is about the complete opposite of what Ron does.......................
Actually, most of my hunting is still hunting in the timber.

November found me sneaking through timber carrying my X7 with a magnified scope during our regular rifle season. The deer i killed was about 33 yard or so.

December found me sneaking through the timber again, however i could only use a 1X scope on an X7, because it was muzzle loader season. The deer killed this time was some further out than the 33 yard.

January found me sneaking through the timber again looking for a long beard. The one time i saw a long beard, i was only carrying a pistol, and didn't take the shot, but usually i carried an X7. Passed on several opportunities at no beards.

Most days in February have found me sneaking through the timber, carrying the X7 with a magnified scope, and looking for lion.

October had me sneaking through swamp, and finally killing deer in the open, a short distance away. The beginning of October i was hunting Pronghorn on the great plains, and actually did do, what you say ron does.

What it comes to this year, is 15 weeks still hunting in the timber so far, and 2 weeks hunting the great plains.

Hunting the prairie usually involves spotting animals a long long way off using binocular, then planning a sneak. However, some times one just stumbles onto deer or antelope, cresting a ridge. There are few trees to hide behind, so the sneak require the use of terrain to stay out of sight of prey. One utilizes ridge, and, coulee to get close enough for a shot. This is tough hunting, especially with a muzzle loader. One endures cactus, wind, thirst, etc. If that weren't enough, there is the habit of antelope to park out in the middle of a large flat space, and their long range vision.

My favorite hunting method is sneaking through the timber, and my biggest thrill is seeing deer before they see me.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
I've been told that a lot, but i'll feel better with a 1X scope, and it suits my timber hunting better anyway. Plus, I won't have to push a maxi-ball to fast.

I might be tempted to take long shots with magnification. We can't have that.
If you get close enough you can just smack that elk or deer with your walker. I am not all that far behind you. I took a digger on the ice a couple weeks ago and my ribs still hurt on every breath.
Art
Old 02-14-2013, 09:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

I know you do Ron, and I was hoping you'd talk about that in this thread.

How did you find hunting with a 1X scope?
Old 02-14-2013, 09:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Looking through a 1X Nikon scope is like sighting through a straw. If i could clearly see the front sight, i wouldn't never use a 1X scope again. Alas, for these old eyes a 1X scope is advantageous. Three shots using the 1X scope resulted in 3 well hit deer.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

I read about 1X scopes before getting one. I read it look like looking through binos backwards. A few guys said the Sightron didn't look that way. I hope they're right, because that would drive me nuts.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:31 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Semisane
Oh, I know I do it all the time. As do others. The free and easy flow of conversation is one of the reasons I like this forum. But I've never dinged anyone else for drifting off topic.

Unfortunatley I have - don't want to but I got a new booter button!

Dave....JW
Old 02-14-2013, 04:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

That's cause you're a born curmudgeon JW.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:23 PM
1874sharpsshooter

Originally Posted by Semisane
That's cause you're a born curmudgeon JW.
And your favorite past time must be sipping scotch while you read the dictionary .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.