Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
scope or peep sight for my renegade >

scope or peep sight for my renegade

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

scope or peep sight for my renegade

Old 02-07-2013, 08:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default scope or peep sight for my renegade

I debating on putting a scope or a peep sight on my lrh renegade I just built.

should I sin again and put a scope on?

or

get a peep sight?

I have not even shot the gun yet and I want to put a new site on it lol.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like a peep personally. I guess it depends on if you can see with open sights well enough to shoot effectively. For me, that would be the only reason I might scope a traditional.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

It's always a trade-off, depending on your eyesight and hunting situation. If all of my hunting situations involved shots of 75 yards or less I could get along quite nicely with a peep sight, even with my bi-focal corrected eyes. Still I would have to pass up a shot now and then that I could take with a scope.

There's no question a sidelock looks better and feels more natural without a scope. And there's a certain satisfaction that goes along with making a good shot on game with iron sights. But if I expect to shoot beyond 75 yards I want the confidence a scope gives me.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

I put a peep on an inline, so you know my answer.

Bad vision? Get closer.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:05 AM
Spike

Location: Virginia, near the Rappahannock where fresh water turns salty

Go with the peep. Unless your eyes are really bad the peep will do all the gun can do. I have Lyman peep and "fire type" front sight on 3 of my sidehammer guns. No drop off from what I could shoot 25 years ago considering the capeabilities of the guns. Of course I have scopes on my MLIIs and SMLs and red dot types on my slamfires. Eyes are 63 years and until 15 years ago I could really shoot good with open sights. Then had to upgrade as vision is getting older. WO the peep sights have to scope everything except the shotguns, and have "fire" type beads on them. $.02 10 ga
Old 02-08-2013, 02:55 PM
Spike

I have a tang mounted peep on my T/C Hawkin.
Great way to go. I put peeps on my MK-85s as well
a scope is nice but are not legal in my state for Muzzleloader hunts and really I do not think I need more than a peep will do for me.
scopes look out of place on a traditional rifle IMO
Old 02-08-2013, 03:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I do have bad eye sight but has not changed much in 5 years. I know of a local gun shop that has some peeps in stock that would fit. but guess what, there lot was packed. just came straight home. check with them tomorrow. if not, to the search I go.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

I've found that even with these old eyes of mine I find that I can shoot just as accurately with a peep as a scope out to about 75 yds. And that is about as far as I have shot an animal with the mL.
Old 02-10-2013, 01:46 PM
Spike

good luck finding a peep sight for a TC Renegade.. i've been trying to find one or buy one but TC discontinued making them & can't seem to find one anywhere - Anybody have a line on where to find one or a substitute? I know you can retrofit a lyman peep to fit but i dont want to have to grind the sight down or carve the stock up to make it fit. Anyone??
Old 02-10-2013, 03:20 PM
Spike

I think you vision should be taken into consideration, and the distace you are hunting. If its less than a hundred, then a peep is ok. If over a hundred then I would lookat a scope, that is for me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.