Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Cleaning a White?

Old 02-02-2013, 07:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Cleaning a White?

The only other gun I use 777 in is my renegade and I just stick the rear of the barrel down in hot soapy water and start cleaning, followed by a scalding hot water rinse, followed by some Montana extreme bore conditioner.

Do you take the barrel off and stick one end in a a bucket of water after 777/pryodex, or do you just use brushes/swabs and if so how do you clean the breech/hammer area.

thanks!
Old 02-02-2013, 07:39 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by txhunter58
The only other gun I use 777 in is my renegade and I just stick the rear of the barrel down in hot soapy water and start cleaning, followed by a scalding hot water rinse, followed by some Montana extreme bore conditioner.

Do you take the barrel off and stick one end in a a bucket of water after 777/pryodex, or do you just use brushes/swabs and if so how do you clean the breech/hammer area.

thanks!
If you do it the old fashioned way - which is very thorough - remove the trigger - which is also very simple...

For my part - I just use windex patches (3 of them), followed by liquid 2 in 1 bore scrubber patches(2-3 of them) - dry patches and Montana X-treme...

Birchwood Casey Bore Scrubber 2 - in - 1 Bore Cleaner. A complete formula for copper and nitro fouling... this 2 - in - 1 solvent does it all! Attacks, dissolves and removes all types of barrel fouling including: lead, copper, plastic, carbon and powder fouling. Superior rust preventive additives provide long term protection after cleaning....
Old 02-02-2013, 08:04 AM
Dominant Buck

Take the barrel out of the stock and remove the trigger. After taking the hammer and breech plug out, I put my thumb over the MUZZLE of the barrel so it will not leak, and spray Windex or Simple Green, or some other cleaner down the breech of the rifle. Then when I have a good amount of that in the gun, I tilt it back and fourth, making the liquid kind of roll back and fourth inside the gun. Then just hold the barrel over a bucket and remove your thumb.

Now.. HEAVY SATURATE a patch with the same cleaner and from the breech end, push that through the barrel. You will see it comes out pretty dirty. But do about two more of them and suddenly they are clean. Then a wet one I used to scrub the floor of the open breech.

Next I take a wet patch and wrap that around the bore brush. And I push that in the thread area of the rifle and start to twist it clockwise. Then pull that out. Now start running dry patches through that barrel. After about three of them they are normally clean. And check the last one and it is usually dry.

I have a small air compressor in the house and I then blow out the entire breech area and bore of the rifle with compressed air. When I am positive that barrel is spotless, I then apply a good quality gun oil and swab the bore slowly. And use that to wipe the outside of the rifle off.

If the trigger needs cleaning, I take that outside and spray the guts of the trigger with brake cleaner. Then shake the devil out of it. Back in the house, I hit that trigger with the air compressor and make sure that is dry. Then just a few drops of oil I apply into the guts of the trigger.

Next I clean the breech plug spotless. I then tape the threads and smear a little Slick 50 One grease on the outside and immediately (before I loose the thing) replace it in the rifle. Then I clean the plunger and springs and again, apply a very light coat of oil on the plunger and wipe the spring. I then put the whole rifle barrel back together.

Then it is back in the stock and put away.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:15 AM
Boone & Crockett

txhunter58

Dave is so dang complete!!! Sometimes I wonder if he is like the old detective on TV -- Monk --- a bit OCD...
Old 02-02-2013, 12:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dave's method is just about identical to mine - except that I incorporate a bit of WD-40 and rarely use the brake cleaner. I leave the bore and and everything but the breech plug coated with a bit of BreakFree CLP.

And don't forget to put the trigger assembly back on first. Do all the action dis-assembly and re-assembly while the barreled action is out of the stock.

I am considering getting some Eezox to use on the interior parts and bore instead of the BreakFree. Eezox leaves a dry protective coating.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:53 PM
Typical Buck

I shot the MK 85 today. ( Similar cleaning to the White ) T7 3F and CCI #11 caps.

I cleaned it wit BC Bore scrubber and had a dickens of a time with the breech area. I mean I had to get the steel wool out to remove the fouling. I don't shoot many plunger guns but this was a real workout. Am I doing something wrong?

Could it be the caps as I usually have used Remington caps in the past.
Old 02-02-2013, 02:22 PM
Dominant Buck

If the fouling was in the open bore area of the rifle, it probably was the caps. I personally use CCI Magnum caps and find just a little solvent and a green scotch brite pad takes off any fouling. Also be sure that area is wiped clean of oil before you start shooting. Oil will collect that fouling from the caps.
Old 04-18-2013, 12:10 PM
Fork Horn

Yeah...ok....