Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Just got a Lyman

Old 01-29-2013, 01:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Just got a Lyman

Great Plains Hunter with the 1:32 twist. .50 ca Percussion......Left Handed I might add.

Does anyone wish to share their favourite loads for this rifle? Just have the stock sights until the 57 I ordered shows up.

Thanks,

HA
Old 01-29-2013, 02:21 PM
Fork Horn

I am interested in what you think of it at the range.
What projectiles and powder do you plan on using?
Old 01-29-2013, 02:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Right off the bat I'll try some 360 PR Extreme Elite HP's as that just happens to be what I have on hand at the moment. I have 2f, 3f Goex 2f T7, 2f AP (got to use that crap up). I have some T7 pellets but I don't think they'll work too well out of a percussion gun unless I duplex the load and that's a PIA.

I also have some .458 Hornady RN and orange mmp sabots so I might try to fling a few of them down range as well.

HA
Old 01-29-2013, 03:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have a friend with that gun. The Hornady Great Plains bullet (385gr) is what he's using with good results.

Not sure of the powder load, but you'll have to work that out on your gun anyway. I know he uses Pyro P.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hornady Great Plains 410s if you can find them. They were discontinued.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:48 PM
Fork Horn

I have a Deerstalker, and have been considering (way down the road) of either getting a Trade Rifle barrel for it or a GPH and adding a PC style scope for beyond 100 yds.

I like that I could easily swap barrels much like a T/C, but a GPH is designed better as a long range conical/bullet tosser.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by rodwha
I have a Deerstalker, and have been considering (way down the road) of either getting a Trade Rifle barrel for it or a GPH and adding a PC style scope for beyond 100 yds.

I like that I could easily swap barrels much like a T/C, but a GPH is designed better as a long range conical/bullet tosser.
A trade rifle and a Mustang would round out my colection of Lymans. Only problem with the Trade rifles is that they are all backwards.

HA
Old 01-29-2013, 04:31 PM
Dominant Buck

I have the same rifle, other then mine is right handed and flintlock. I find it likes Heavy Conicals and heavy sabot loads. I have been shooting the 450 grain UC Short Mags out of mine with about 70 grains of Schuetzen black powder. Also I shoot some 424 grain LEE Mold 405-458 bullets in a sabot. Again, 70 grains seems to work nice. The thing of a large bullet is, it don't take a lot of powder to make them lethal.

Also for fun I was shooting roundball out of it. And with 50 grains of powder it will really do a fairly good job out to 50 yards. I have not done any real long range shooting with the rifle yet.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Dave,

I won't have access to Schutzen powder. Would it be similar to 2f or 3f Goex?

I'll have a look at the PR Keith style bullets. I know they have them in some heavy weights up to 450 gr in .50 cal. Some of the bullets you fella's get down south aren't available to us Canadians.

HA