Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Here yesterday , gone today >

Here yesterday , gone today

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Here yesterday , gone today

Old 01-26-2013, 01:56 PM
1874sharpsshooter

Default Here yesterday , gone today

All this talk about shooting , especially long range shooting made me unable to resist going out today . I had a new gun to sight in and since the wind was totally calm and the temperature was almost 50 I figured it don't get any better . I had put a 4x16 power scope on so that I could shoot long range. My goal today was simply to sight in at 100 yards and get it on paper . Then start moving back .
Well things didn't go to good .
I got it close after only 3 shots but couldn't achieve a good enough group at a 100 yards to allow me to move back . About a 4 inch group and it wasn't the bullet or load . It was movement . I could see the wiggling around . I couldn't hold steady no matter what I did . I hope this isn't a sign of the future . After 15 shots I gave up.
They were all in a 4 inch area but should have been less than an inch.
Way to much movement to even shoot a 100 yards little lone further .
Guess I will try another day and see if it still looks like I have palsy .
Terrible range session

Old 01-26-2013, 02:26 PM
Fork Horn

Well you got out shooting.
Not saying its fair to compare but when i have not been shooting in a while i lose alot of ground.
Been using a very heavy(for me)rifle that rests well.with the scope it has i keep it dialed down at 100 or it looks like a flyrod,heartbeat and breathing. It like most i own can out perform me!

Last edited by monoped; 01-26-2013 at 02:28 PM.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:18 PM
Dominant Buck

Just the idea of shooting is good. I wanted to shoot today, but unfortunately company decided to come over. At least you got to shoot.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:41 PM
Fork Horn

Probably just an "off day", Sharpshooter. I wouldn't sweat it. Happens to me too sometimes.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yep, I think they happen for everyone but they do become more frequent with age.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Have you seen any of my targets???

I just enjoy shooting. When it all comes together it's special.

HA
Old 01-27-2013, 05:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Its been happening to me too much in the last year. On a bad day im lucky to get 4" groups at 100 yards even if im stacking them up at 50 and know the load/equipment are good.

Changing the target to something more fun seems to help, like shooting steel plates or water jugs but thats still not much fun in the cold.