Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

2012 buck

Old 01-16-2013, 02:06 PM
Fork Horn

Default 2012 buck

On December 21st, I was finally able to get in the woods with my TC Triumph loaded with a 250 grain shockwave (non-bonded yellow tip) with the factory supplied black sabot sitting over 2 pellets of 777 and 777 primers. The weather had finally turned colder and I was hoping the deer would be moving. Sitting in my blind, I noticed a doe and a couple fawns come in to the feeder. The kept looking behind them and as I looked through the brush, I saw a tall rack moving at a 45 degree angle. The deer was on the edge of being a shooter, but as I watched the animal, I noticed he was limping. That was all the excuse I needed. The buck made its way to the shooting lane and I leveled the Triumph. At 35 yards the deer stopped broadside, went into full alert and stared right at me. The crosshairs were solidly behind his shoulder and I pulled the trigger. Instantly I felt great about the shot, but in the smoke I did not see much. Actually the Ameristep blind was full of smoke and it must have been quite a sight to see me roll out of the blind with smoke billowing out!
Went to the spot of impact after reloading and found the tracks, a small bit of hair and pieces of bloody tissue. I followed the fresh tracks in the snow for 3 yards before picking up blood. There was a small bit of snow on the ground which aided in tracking. Blood trail was not heavy, but not tough to follow given a slow “trailing” walk. The buck made it 35 yards with the upper part of his heart destroyed on a complete pass-through. Wound channels on both sides of the buck were about the size of a quarter to a half-dollar.
When cleaning the deer, I cut my hand on something up in the lung cavity. Upon inspection, it was a broadhead and 3 inches of carbon arrow. Obviously, this was causing the buck to limp. Someone had taken a frontal shot at the buck and the broadhead ended up inside the lung cavity, but only clipped one lung. I could not find an entrance wound in the hide, but some of the neck muscles showed the entrance. There was a lot of inflammation around the broadhead and was lodged against the side of the rib cage. None of the meat was affected as I have already processed the deer. The broadhead was a Barnett 125 grain expandable made for crossbows. A group South of me earlier in the year said they hit a nice crab claw buck earlier in the year, but were unable to make a recovery. I am hoping to see them again to ask if they were shooting this type of mechanical and hopefully put that hunter’s mind to rest that the buck actually did make it through and was not just coyote bait.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:14 PM
Dominant Buck

Congratulations on the buck. Nice to see it did not make coyote bait and that you were able to end any suffering it might have experienced with the old wound.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:21 PM
Fork Horn

Great! Im glad you were able to put that good buck out of his misery but it goes to show just how tough even a whitetale can be. Hope your hand feels better!
Old 01-16-2013, 02:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well done Kathwacckkk. Good report!
Old 01-16-2013, 04:51 PM
Fork Horn

as they approached the feeder !?!?

we get locked up around here for feeders.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:53 PM
Spike

Kathwacckkk,

How do you like those 777 primers out of the Triumph? I started using some 777's recently and found they don't stick in the speed breech plug after firing like normal Win 209 primers do in my Triumph. The 777's cost a little more but might be worth it.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:24 AM
Fork Horn

T7 primers came with gun and I have never tried others in this firearm. I do notice they help reduce the crud ring compared to my CVA Kodiak Mag using CCI 209's. Love the accuracy of the 250 grain Shockwave. Took a doe on the 31st. Without snow the bloodtrail could have been more challenging. However, she only went 35 yards as well.

Here in MI, deer feeders are legal. Many do not use them for the sporting aspect, but I had been shutout the past two years and needed to fill the freezer.

Trying to upload a picture of the buck.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:27 AM
Fork Horn

2012 buck.
Attached Thumbnails 2012 buck-2012-12-22_08-49-13_903.jpg  
Old 01-17-2013, 07:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice Buck and good story, Im glad you were ablt to avoide any further suffering. One of my buddys shot a beauty 12pt this year, he got a call not long after from the deer processing place telling him the deer also had a broadhead inside him and that that caused an infection in the meat that entered the spine. Did you process the animal or did someone else? Hopefully they knew what they were looking for when it comes to infections.
(BP)
Old 01-17-2013, 07:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice buck. Amazing how tough they are. Congrats

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.