Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
I finally found out (i think) >

I finally found out (i think)

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

I finally found out (i think)

Old 01-01-2013, 07:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by cayugad
Muley I did not see his link. But did see a question he asked me and thought it might be rude not to answer. So I am glad it was discovered what model it is. I had never seen a "Plains Rifle" but I would still guess it shoots well with a .535 roundball and around 90 grains of powder. At least that is where I would be looking.. if the Plains Rifle was mine.

A Plains Rifle was new to me too. I agree it's probably the same as a the Trade rifle barrel.

Companies take a lot of liberties. It doesn't have much in common with the original Plains rifles, but it's probably a better hunting gun for us, because we don't want to lug around a 10-11lb gun.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:42 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by cayugad
Muley I did not see his link. But did see a question he asked me and thought it might be rude not to answer. So I am glad it was discovered what model it is. I had never seen a "Plains Rifle" but I would still guess it shoots well with a .535 roundball and around 90 grains of powder. At least that is where I would be looking.. if the Plains Rifle was mine.
ive been shooting that. i get about 3inch groups at 50yds and about 6 inch group at 100yds off a bench. I'm going to give lyman a call and see what i can find out about this. I haven't been able to find anything about it on the internet except that link, which is very little.