Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
My season from hospital to first ML kill >

My season from hospital to first ML kill

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

My season from hospital to first ML kill

Old 12-22-2012, 02:14 PM
Spike

Default My season from hospital to first ML kill

Well, third season hunting with my muzzleloader and hadn't had a good shot on anything last two years... busted one nice buck in the snow last year and no shot on another right before him.

This year we did something different. We planted a field owned by our church with soy, rye, turnips etc, and went out for an early urban season. The other new thing was I was hunting from a tree stand for the first time. Well... should have read the manual on that one.

Got to the top of the ladder and then everything got fuzzy and the next thing I knew I was falling through the air thinking 'this is going to hurt'. I knew my feet were below me, good, then they hit, good, then my rear end followed very quickly after, BAD. LONG hour later..

So... couple of months later... and lots of therapy blah blah blah... and a few failed attempts with the hunt from a truck

FINALLY got back on my feet pretty well and hunting from the GROUND from hereon-out.. went out to some woods close to my house with a buddy who had some luck close-by. Group came up the ravine in front of me and then I lost sight of them as they were moving up towards my buddy's position. Then a doe came up the hillside 30 yards in front of me. I used the ramrod as a rest on the chair and I took aim. It was freezing and I was shivering pretty good. She spotted me, head on, pawed the ground, and I just froze. Watched her as she walked away from me a bit, and she took a look back at me and I fired. The rod in my off hand and adrenaline really helped stabilize my sight and I shot. Didn't see what happened through the smoke. I started reloading right away and 10 seconds later my buddy shot. Well... a heard of about 6 deer came running right at me from his position and I was then rushing trying to get my bullet loaded. The deer were like 'oh crap!!' and almost spun around in a circle, but by the time I got my stuff together, it was too late.

So 20 minutes later we texted each other and I went down to find my deer basically just flopped over down the hillside.. I don't think she ran at all. Basically looked DRT to me:

My first ML kill!

And the result from my T/C impact, and all the helpful advice on these boards, using bh209 90gr with gold dot 250gr:

Whew... I worked at this season, and learned some important lessons.

READ THE MANUAL, WEAR A HARNESS AND USE IT UP THE LADDER UNTIL YOU'RE IN THE CHAIR, IF YOU SCREW UP, GET BACK ON THAT HORSE AND RIDE IT... IF YOU ARE LUCKY ENOUGH TO! Merry Christmas everyone!

Last edited by JW; 12-25-2012 at 11:27 AM. Reason: reformatted so it fit our computer screens
Old 12-22-2012, 02:28 PM
Dominant Buck

Sorry to hear about your experience with the ladder stand. Nice going, shooting the deer.
Old 12-22-2012, 02:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

OzarkPA

Wow! Proves perseverance brings rewards... Congrats!!
Old 12-22-2012, 02:39 PM
Fork Horn

Congratulations, Glad you are doing better too, Years ago when the ol baker stand was the only one out there I would go twenty to thirty feet up without a belt and not think a thing about it.I would'nt think of it now. I hope if someone on this site still gambles on their health by hunting without a safety belt learns a lesson from this.
Old 12-22-2012, 03:21 PM
Typical Buck

Congrats on your deer. Your story is a good lesson for all. I for one dont wear my safety belt when im hunting from a ladder stand when I know I should. In my lock ons.. Climbers.. yes always.
Old 12-22-2012, 09:54 PM
Spike

Thanks all - yes, please do wear those harnesses even going up into the chair... it's just too easy to slip or whatever. There were 4 other guys in rehab at the hospital with me and I was the luckiest. There were a couple of guys that weren't going to be hunting again, let alone feed themselves. I've just got too many mouths to feed so I'll stick with ground hunting from now on.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

And that is one reason I hunt using ground blinds. I can't fall more than a few inches.
Old 12-23-2012, 03:42 AM
Fork Horn

Congrats on a successful hunt!
Old 12-23-2012, 07:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrat's on your first MLer Deer, I remember mine like it was yesterday. And good to see you make a nice recovery from your fall, that must have been scary.
I wish you all the best on your future hunts and thank's for the advice on treestand safety, I hope others take your advice.
(BP)
Old 12-23-2012, 12:48 PM
Fork Horn

Congrats Buddy hope your good trends continue!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.