Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Ruger 77/50

Old 12-17-2012, 09:40 AM
Fork Horn

Default Ruger 77/50

I recently aquired a Ruger 77/50. Having other Ruger firearms, I decided to add to my Ruger collection. I am familiar with T/C, inlines, Encore, Omega, Firehawk. I will be using both Goex, and Pyrodex, so the fact that the 77/50 has #11 ignition is not a problem for me. Also, I we be trying different sabots, and bullet combos. If anyone owns and shoots one of these, I would welcome any pointers, and anything else I should be aware of.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:16 PM
Fork Horn

Landngroove I do not own a Ruger 77/50 and I know nothing about them, but I do think they are a very nice-looking muzzleloader. I bet it's a quality firearm, too.

Congratulations on your newly-aquired Ruger.
Old 12-17-2012, 04:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

For some reason the Ruger muzzleloader never took off. I don't know why. I've never seen anything bad about them. But I've never seen one in the field or on the range either. Maybe it was overpriced?
Old 12-18-2012, 05:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't know much about them. I know that I really like Ruger's though. I also know that I saw one at a gun show a year ago that was in pretty rough shape. The guy wanted $450 for it. It looked like at one time it was a pretty solid gun. I told him given it's condition I thought it was probably a little overpriced. His reply was that I should have seen what they went for new, but wouldn't tell me what that was. I guess I never cared to find out so haven't looked into it.
I still don't have a Ruger muzzleloader.
Old 12-19-2012, 03:55 AM
Spike

Still own mine and absolutely love it. I don't hunt with it much anymore but when I did it is a shooter. I am setting it up next year for my daughter to hunt with.

90 grains loose 777, hph24 sabot, with 250 grain barnes expander or
300 grain gold dot and it would shoot a ragged hole at 75 yds. That was as far as I ever shot back then. Mine was the natural hardwood version.

Word of caution, do not buy the 209 conversion kit for it. Something about the extra punch will eventually file down the sear and your muzzleloader will have a hair trigger that is dangerous. Flip off the safety slap the stock and it would fire. I sent mine back and that is what they told me. Keep it cleaned and I never had trouble lighting 777 with a #11.

It don't even feel like a muzzleloader, easy to the shoulder and feels more like your favorite rifle. IMO.

This was my response a while back. Good little gun.

By the way, $450.00 is way out of line, even for a brand new one. I paid I think $250.00 for mine.

I think the reason that they never took off was because Ruger was so late getting into the black powder market. About the time that Ruger came out with this rifle the break open style muzzleloader was really becoming popular.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-24-2012, 07:25 AM
Spike

I have one and it is a shooter. The load that worked best with mine was 85 gr FFFg T7, 250 gr Hornady XTP or SST, in a Harvester smooth black sabot. I used CCI #11 cap. The only problem I have had is you need to make sure the cap is fully seated or the first pull of the trigger will seat it and you will need to cycle the bolt again to fire it.

I tried the 209 conversion and it was a mess and I did not see any improvement, YMMV.

The factory trigger was a bit stiff, so I installed a Volquartsen set up which really improved it for me.