Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Matching bullet to twist rate >

Matching bullet to twist rate

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Matching bullet to twist rate

Old 12-17-2012, 06:37 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by SuperKirby
When I ordered my SMI barrel, Ron said they use a 1:32 twist that works great with the .458 325 gr. FTX with Harvester smooth black sabots. I can get a .458 FTX down the barrel, but it takes everything I have to get it there. I would hate to have to reload in a hurry in the field. I figure I might get a pack of .458 sabots and see if that makes a difference, but I'm not getting my hopes up too high.
So now I'm looking for a new bullet to try. I thought I had more than I do, but I'm about out of bullets in general, so I don't have a lot to experiment with, and I don't want to start randomly buying bullets to find out they don't work well with this twist rate. I looked at the calculators that use the greenhill formula, and they work off caliber and length. Here's my question - when figuring caliber, do you figure the caliber of the bullet itself or the bullet/sabot together? If I figure a .45 bullet, it looks like I want a bullet 1.09". In a .50 I should look for something 1.34".
Any recommendations for a bullet?
As Josmund stated in his post you are using the wrong sabot for that .458 round. You need to use the Harvester Black Crush Ribb sabot. If that is still too tight you can try the MMP orange sabot.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

SuperKirby

I shot them with a MMP Orange sabot in my NULA with a Douglas 1-32. They do load tight but are still very "loadable". IIRC i was shooting the 325gr FTX at about 2200fps. The few shots i tried at 50 yards looked promising but recoil is a bit much in mine so i didn't continue to shoot them at longer ranges.

The 325gr FTX in a Harvester Black Crushrib is a no go in mine also. Its way too tight in a true .500 Douglas barrel. Mine actually shoots best with a moderate to slightly loose loading bullet/sabot.

Mine shoots lighter bullets extremely well and the recoil is much more pleasant. My hottest load is the original Parker 275gr BE at 2400fps. The recoil is about at my limit and accuracy is excellent, with some practice this load should easily be good for 250yard shots.