Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 could someone tell me if i messed up by buying this gun >

could someone tell me if i messed up by buying this gun

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

could someone tell me if i messed up by buying this gun

Old 09-17-2003, 02:19 PM
Fork Horn

Default could someone tell me if i messed up by buying this gun

i bought a cva magnum hunter 45. at walmart for 149.95 and i was wondering was this a bad idea or will it shoot straight and be a good gun for me what is your oppinion on cva and maybe this gun thanks alot
Old 09-17-2003, 04:39 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: could someone tell me if i messed up by buying this gun

You did fine when buying this rifle!! I' ll shoot just fine - once you find a good load for it. .45s can be a little harder to find a good load - I suggest using Triple 7 loose powder and as large a sabot bullet you can find, the 275gr PowerBelts are also a good choice.
Old 09-18-2003, 07:31 AM

About 6 yrs ago I bought a CVA Bobcat from Wally world for $75.00. It turned out to be a very expensive decision. You see the gun shot great, and I remembered why I liked hunting ( I had all but stopped hunting for the past 10 years). So after taking a couple of deer with it, I decided I wanted a really nice ML, but realized my knowlege of ML was next to nothing, and a lot had changed in 10 years I hadn' t been hunting - there was all kinds of new things like in-lines, sabots, and claims of 200 yard guns.

So I started doing some research - so I could make an educated decision on my next ML. Well in searching the internet for ML info I came across a little sport known as Cowboy Action Shooting. I' ve always liked pre-1900 guns so this was love at first sight for me.

Bottom line:
I now own 3 muzzleloaders, and a whole host of cowboy guns. If the CVA gun had not been a good gun, and been a little more frustating I would have likely given up the whole hunting, shooting, and black powder thing. Which would have saved me a few thousands of dollars, I have since spent on new guns, reloading equipment & components, ammo, gadgets, cleaning supplies, gun safe etc. Not to mention the time I' ve spent shooting, reloading, reading, and playing on the internet. I don' t even want to count the hours I spent in figuring out how to put my somewhat negelected site together.

So yeah you' ve likely mad a mistake with that CVA, CVA just makes it too easy to get into black powder shooting. My advice is put the gun down walk away, you' ll likely die a much richer man, and your offspring will thank you for it

Old 09-18-2003, 06:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bottom line:
I now own 3 muzzleloaders, and a whole host of cowboy guns. If the CVA gun had not been a good gun, and been a little more frustating I would have likely given up the whole hunting, shooting, and black powder thing. Which would have saved me a few thousands of dollars, I have since spent on new guns, reloading equipment & components, ammo, gadgets, cleaning supplies, gun safe etc. Not to mention the time I' ve spent shooting, reloading, reading, and playing on the internet. I don' t even want to count the hours I spent in figuring out how to put my somewhat negelected site together.
Don' t ya just hate it whan that happens?!! [8D]

Mike
Old 09-19-2003, 11:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

The CVA' s are generally satisfactory. However, just like ANY KIND of firearm, yours is an individual, and YOU will have to test it for YOURSELF, develop loads for it YOURSELF, and answer your own questions for YOURSELF about this particular rifle!

Good Luck & enjoy!!
Old 09-20-2003, 08:24 AM
Dominant Buck

I' ve shot a few CVAs , and even own one , which is why I' d call them serviceable at best . I dislike their crappy quality control , and have had nothing but problems with their customer service dept. when the one I own broke it' s trigger spring after the 12th round . I was told that the spring was not covered by their " lifetime limited(very) warranty" , but they would be happy to direct me to a nearby dealer who would sell me a replacement trigger set for only $30-40 ! The rifle didn' t even group well with target loads at close range(25 yds) , and has now been anchoring the carpet in the corner of a closet ever since .

Some folks love CVA and swear by them , but I' ll never buy another one . Worst $170 I ever spent .
Old 09-21-2003, 02:48 PM
Fork Horn

You asked if anyone thought you made a mistake... I think you have... my opinion I know.... everyone has one.... a butt or but. At your WalMart you can order a NEF Huntsman for about $128, better steel, American made, and interchangable barrels. If you wanted a less expensive gun get the NEF not the CVA. Many, including UC, are getting good results with them.

Robbie
Old 09-21-2003, 04:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

At least he bought it at Wal-Mart. [8D]
Old 09-21-2003, 08:52 PM
Fork Horn

You might want to check your regs and make sure the .45 with sabot rounds is legal in TN. In IL .45 cal is o.k., just can' t use bullets smaller than .44... which means with .45 in IL you must use a full bore conical. .45' s are finicky, unless you are talking a White .451. Check your regs before using it.
Old 09-22-2003, 05:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

i bought a cva magnum hunter 45. at walmart for 149.95 and i was wondering was this a bad idea or will it shoot straight and be a good gun for me what is your oppinion on cva and maybe this gun thanks alot
================================================== ==

Deerhunter 21

Why didn' t you ask this question " BEFORE" you bought the rifle?

Wal-Mart does have a rifle exchange/store credit policy if your rifle is still new. Overall, the NEF Huntsman is a better-built rifle. If you bought the Magnum Hunter to shoot 3 pellets, you might as well keep it if you can' t afford to spend another $100 on a better manufacturer. I don' t believe those NEFs allow the 3rd pellet in their rifles.... I will check on that! Anyways, if you plan on using only 100 grains of powder, take the Magnum Hunter back. Even Traditions Inc. doesn' t put loading restrictions on their magnum inlines.

Quick Reply: could someone tell me if i messed up by buying this gun

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.