Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Red Dot scopes

Old 12-14-2012, 12:43 AM
Spike

Default Red Dot scopes

Would mounting a red dot scope mid-way on the barrel where the rear sight would be, or closer to the eye where a scope would be mounted have any effect on the accuracy of the scope?
Old 12-14-2012, 05:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

The father away you put it the less your field of view will be. I used them for a while and found I like them between 4 and 4.5 inches away from my eye position.
I also found I could not dim the ones I had enough for them to work well at dusk, I am having much better results with indirectly lighted cross hairs.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:42 AM
Dominant Buck

Like Lee, I used them when Wisconsin was a non magnification state for muzzleloaders. We are now able to use scopes. But at the time I thought it would be a good alternative to open sights. One the range during the light of day, they worked fine. Mounted as you would a scope, so you get the full benefit of the field of view. At dusk and early morning, when light is faded.. don't hunt anywhere there is shadows.. you will not be able to see into them. Also the dot in my case (Bushnell Trophy Red dot) grows a tail.

I still have one mounted on a Ruger 44 Redhawk, but that is my fun range revolver. And in that case, it works fine. I disliked the reddots on muzzleloaders so bad, I removed them and went to 1x scopes.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

i bought two rather expensive red dot sights: One is still in its original packing. Mounted the other one on my CVA StagHorn. On the range in good light it did well.

The sight was really sorry in low light. While watching a pond from a stand a doe came in about 30 years in front of me. The sun had just set. Deer season was not in but i drew on her for practice. i could not have shot that deer. On the lowest setting the dot was much too bright and the resolution was awful.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:23 AM
Spike

So it is safe to assume that the glass is what causes the distortion when the light fades? Like a cheaper scope? I would be better off staying with a low powered scope then.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:25 AM
Dominant Buck

without question a scope is better then a red dot IMO. I have often wondered about those holographic sights, if they loose light when it fades. I kind of like the idea of them. I was thinking of one of them for my tactical rifle.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:07 AM
Boone & Crockett

Its not the glass. Mine have really good glass.