Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Sometimes you just have to reward yourself >

Sometimes you just have to reward yourself

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Sometimes you just have to reward yourself

Old 12-13-2012, 08:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well...

I picked the .54 renegade up this evening and it is exactly what I was hoping for, a used rifle that had been well cared for. The bore is spotless, the man let me run some patches through it and I told him that the worst case scenario is that if I don't want it, he gets a free cleaning.

Beyond that, it has a few minor handling marks on the stock but all of the furniture is cherry (no boogered screws etc.).

$200 + sales tax and it's mine...I'll post pics.

BPS
Old 12-16-2012, 09:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here are a couple of pics of the Renegade I just picked up. I had a brief opportunity to shoot it yesterday.

Having no idea where it may hit, I put the target out at 30 yds. I loaded 60gr. of FFF black with a Lee .530 ball and a .015 patch rubbed with Ox-Yoke Wonderlube. Taking point of aim on the bull, my first shot was extremely high, almost missing the backboard completely. I cranked the rear sight to the bottom and fired the second shot which was out of the paper at 1:00. My third shot was inside the paper at about 2:00 and a little more to the right (I had a hangfire for some reason which may have caused me to pull the shot).

I adjusted the windage prior to my fourth shot and it hit dead nuts center at the edge of the paper. I wiped the bore clean with some Butch's Bore Shine and decided to take P.O.A. at the bottom of the 7 ring. My last two shots are touching one another in the bull. I then had to call it quits because the supper bell rang.

I cannot understand why a rifle that is in nearly new condition would have to have its rear sight bottomed out, but I have seen it happen with others. I have never cared for the Patridge style sights that are on the rifle. I hold the front blade flush with the top of the rear notch so that I keep the same sight picture every time. I'll probably change out the sights as I feel this rifle has a lot of potential. The rifling is really nice in this gun and the loads were relatively tight going down. I also want to see how it likes the taste of different powders and loads as well as conicals next time out.

BPS

Last edited by Blackpowdersmoke; 12-16-2012 at 10:00 AM.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

You got a good one BPS. Congratulations.

I like Partridge sights, but have never been a fan of the TC factory sights. They always seem to be a little loosy-goosey to me. Plus, the width of the rear notch is not wide enough for my liking. I always file them a little wider to get more daylight along the sides of the front sight.
Old 12-16-2012, 04:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane
You got a good one BPS. Congratulations.

I like Partridge sights, but have never been a fan of the TC factory sights. They always seem to be a little loosy-goosey to me. Plus, the width of the rear notch is not wide enough for my liking. I always file them a little wider to get more daylight along the sides of the front sight.
Semi,

I spent the afternoon doing just that. I was going to just change out the original sights, but the hole spacing was different on some of the other T/C spare sets that I had. I opted to remove the Patridge rear sight and file/stone the notch somewhat deeper and wider, with a "V" notch leading into a round bottom much like the Hawken rear sight. I also installed the Hawken bead front sight which is .080 higher than the original Patridge blade. This should get me back down where I need to be with room for adjustment. I took my time on the sights and blued them when done. The rear notch looks really good, you really have to look close to tell it's been done by hand.

BPS
Old 12-16-2012, 06:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

Hey BP congratulations on your GPA and your new toy. Looks like you got a good shooter. Too bad though it isn't a flinter! Now you'll have to wait until next year to shoot a deer with it in PA. But it sure is nice. Good luck with it
Old 12-17-2012, 09:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Bronko,

Are you hunting during the Flinter season or have you "Coal Country" rogues wiped out all of your deer?...LOL

BPS