Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Alum, steel or brass ramrod >

Alum, steel or brass ramrod

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Alum, steel or brass ramrod

Old 12-11-2012, 07:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

I like the aluminum ramrods that Greenmtn used to send with their replacement barrels. But they were noisy when loading in the woods. Some of the synthetic replacement ones in my opinion are too flimsy - especially when trying to load a tight ball/bullet. CVA makes and acceptable Universal replacement ramrod.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

Because they use to line up across from each other and fire in volleys...5-6 shots a minute was the norm whereas with a hunting rifle, you had a civilian arm so rate of fire wasn't a factor...

You'll get there, you think in 1977 when I bought my first flintlock I knew anyone that knew a dang thing???? When I killed my first deer with a flinter in 1977 it was the talk of the county...Some thought I was crazy...

You're lucky, you have the Internet.....

I'm just telling you, a fellow that knows what he is about will do just fine loading with a hickory ramrod....

I happen to be married to an RN, been married 33 years so, yes, I understand a bit about ERs and accidents...

A fellow like me that dresses up and gives talks on the Revolution War in period clothing wouldn't consider showing up with a fake ramrod....

Just busting your chops...Hang around a bit and you'll find it happens all the time......
Old 12-11-2012, 09:42 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by nchawkeye
Because they use to line up across from each other and fire in volleys...5-6 shots a minute was the norm whereas with a hunting rifle, you had a civilian arm so rate of fire wasn't a factor...

You'll get there, you think in 1977 when I bought my first flintlock I knew anyone that knew a dang thing???? When I killed my first deer with a flinter in 1977 it was the talk of the county...Some thought I was crazy...

You're lucky, you have the Internet.....

I'm just telling you, a fellow that knows what he is about will do just fine loading with a hickory ramrod....

I happen to be married to an RN, been married 33 years so, yes, I understand a bit about ERs and accidents...

A fellow like me that dresses up and gives talks on the Revolution War in period clothing wouldn't consider showing up with a fake ramrod....

Just busting your chops...Hang around a bit and you'll find it happens all the time......
Thanks! ALL GOOD POINTS! God Bless you and your wife! So you KNOW what I am talking about, right? LOL.

OK - I do not mean to be a know it all - because believe me - I don't know it all - but I had read on the Internet once about a guy that was loading his Hawken and the rod snapped and drove it thru his hand! Scary indeed.

I prfer the idea of keeping it TRADITIONAL of course - don't get me wrong - just don't wanna get hurt is all. Can ANYTHING break at ANY given time of ANYTHING in our daily lives? Sure! Can we prevent any and all mishaps? Of course not....

True about the metal ramrods, volleys of shots, war time. Yes those guys shot / shoot many, many rounds.

I will run with my stock ramrod and see how it holds up.

Thanks for the info!
Old 12-11-2012, 11:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Get a metal one if you want, just teasing you ..

Grip a wooden one close to the barrel and go hand over hand when loading...Where people get in trouble is when they grab the rod up high or a foot or so above the muzzle and try to shove it down in one stroke...
Old 12-11-2012, 11:35 AM
Fork Horn

Grip a wooden one close to the barrel and go hand over hand when loading...Where people get in trouble is when they grab the rod up high or a foot or so above the muzzle and try to shove it down in one stroke...
LOL...yeah that is what I figured! I have noticed, of course, that if you try and grip the rod TOO high up when loading that naturally it wants to bend and isn't as stiff as when grabbed down close to the muzzle! I will be sure to do that each time!

I don't shoot my rifle as much as skirmishers would, etc - but I do enjoy a nice day at the range once in a while shooting it and enjoying the sound and smell of the powder burning! It's just a FUN gun to shoot whether hunting or just target shooting!
Old 12-11-2012, 12:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

This is the secret. I still use the wooden ramrod on my flinter. But I do as NC is suggesting. Not that I'm opposed to having a metal one, just never found one the correct lenght or spent the money on one.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:08 PM
Fork Horn

OK thanks all for the good idea's!
Old 12-12-2012, 05:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Scoobie,

You might want to check these out. I bought one for my Renegade flinter with the 31" GM 1:70 barrel. They offer the traditional look of a Hickory rod with a solid steel core and you can get it with your choice of fittings and threads. The fellow that builds them is a really nice guy to deal with.

http://www.periodramrod.com/

BPS
Old 12-12-2012, 05:47 PM
Fork Horn

Blackpowdersmoke,
Thanks! That's one heck of an idea!
I'll have to look into it!
Old 12-12-2012, 06:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Scoobie,

I don't think you would be disappointed, I love mine! They are more expensive than others but they really look nice (the man takes pride in his work) and the extra weight helps in pushing down a tight fitting load. I'm sure one would really complement your Great Plains rifle. I use the tubular aluminum one that was provided with my GM barrel as a cleaning rod only and the custom Hickory rod as a shootin' /huntin' rod. I have German silver fittings on mine, they're only a few dollars more and they don't corrode or tarnish like brass.

BPS

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.