Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Another one down!

Old 11-26-2012, 05:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Another one down!

First and foremost, I profusely appologize for not having pictures. I am usually very good about that, but my cell phone died and I forgot my regular camrera at home.

Opening morning of Ohio's gun season found me 20 feet up in a tree. I saw 3 deer within 45 minutes of sitting down in the stand. I didn't have a shot, but one seemed to be limping (I had heard some shooting from the direction they came from not long before). They went over a hill and down into a ravine. Since one seemed to be injured, I decided to get down from the stand and try to sneak up and peer down into the ravine to maybe finish it off. As I got to the top of the hill, crouching, I saw a deer about 200 yards away on the opposite hill. As I kept on walking, I spooked up a deer down at the bottom of the ravine. It appeared to be a large doe, and ran to the opposite hill, about 125 - 150 yards away. It presented with a broadside shot, so I decided to take it.

The shot felt good, but seeing the deer's reaction, I knew right away that I had hit it too far back. It kind of hunched up, and slowly walked 20 - 30 yards up the hill and bedded down. I reloaded, and still had a nice broadside shot so I hit it again. The deer stayed right there, and I wasn't sure if I hit it or not. So I reloaded and snuck up on the deer. As I got close, I could see it was mortally wounded, but still alive, so I finished it off with a 3rd shot. Not my best day of shooting, and I'm not proud of it, but I am happy that I could take the deer and put it out of its misery pretty quickly.

It turns out that all 3 shots hit the deer. The first shot was 137 yards away-I went back with my lazer rangefinder and verified the ranges afterwards- (shooting off-hand) and hit the deer in the intestines. The second shot (also off-hand) when the deer was bedded was at 151 yards and hit the deer through the liver. The 3rd shot was almost point blank.

Honestly, I thought the deer was closer, otherwise I might have passed on an off-hand shot that long. But I have more than once hit deer off-hand at 100 yards, so it wasn't that much of a stretch. The deer was good-sized for our area, I would estimate the live weight at 110 - 120 pounds - will be some good eating.

Once again, shot placement is everything - bullet type is secondary. A magic bullet is not going to turn a gut-shot into a boom-flop. I was fortunate that I had the opportunity to follow up quickly so the deer wasn't in pain very long. I felt a bit bad about it, but I did try to do the right thing once the deed was done.

I was using a .45 Cascade Magnum lighting off the 185 grain Lehigh on top of 80 grains T7 3f. All 3 shots were pass-thrus, and I saw evidence on all shots of the petals separating and creating separate wound channels.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:09 PM
Dominant Buck

It is good that you followed up and finished off the deer. Those Lehigh/Bloodline petals might have been very important in the fact that the deer bedded down so quickly. A lot of gut shot deer, when chased will really cover distance.

Way to stick in there and get the job done.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:08 PM
1874sharpsshooter

Congratulations. I'm glad you were able to finish her off. The worse feeling in the world is a wounded deer running off never to be seen again. Enjoy that harvest but no pics is unacceptable

Old 11-26-2012, 07:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

Good report Elderlystinkingdog, and congrats on the successful follow up. Most of us know that sinking feeling when you see a deer hunch up.

As for pictures, we shall forgive you (this time).
Old 11-26-2012, 08:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congratulations smellhound, on the deer and the follow up. I know how you feel about not making a great shot, but it happens sometimes. Wish I could have been up there hunting Ohio this week but it was not in the cards, always next year.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats and way to go for following up and finishing it off. I once had a small doe run by me with a shot off leg, doing the only thing that was right I finished her off. I did'nt want to have to use my tag on this deer but as it was so small but I knew it was the right thing to do.
Was the one you got the wounded one?
(BP)
Old 11-27-2012, 02:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

SmellHound: You did a good job following up the shot and dispatching that deer.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good job hound....thats some pretty long offhand shooting. I don't think I could have made that shot.

Did you find out if the deer was injured/wounded previously?
Old 11-27-2012, 07:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by WV Hunter
Good job hound....thats some pretty long offhand shooting. I don't think I could have made that shot.

Did you find out if the deer was injured/wounded previously?
This deer had not been previously shot. I'm thinking that this was a different deer than the first two that I saw that I had shot at. I'm pretty sure now that I missed completely on the first shot at the two deer - I was shooting through a gap in the branches, and it easily could have deflected, or I just could have plain missed. After that shot, the 2 does just stood there looking around wondering what had happened, then slowly trotted off. The one was limping a bit, but it might have been from a previous injury.

Thanks for all the replies! It was a fun hunt, and I'm glad I could finish it off. If I find any of the separated petals when doing the meat up today, I will post pics of those.