Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Omega with Barnes? >

Omega with Barnes?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Omega with Barnes?

Old 11-23-2012, 05:48 AM
Spike

Default Omega with Barnes?

Anyone here shooting their Omega with Barnes bullets? If you are would you please give me a little synopsis (Accuracy, powder, primer, damage to game)? I'd appreciate it. Really giving thought to the EZ or the Expander MZ. Thanks again.
Old 11-23-2012, 06:11 AM
Fork Horn

I used the 300 grain MZs with 90 grains RS three, maybe four seasons ago, in my Omega. The accuracy was great. I only took one deer with them and the wound channel and blood trail were great. However, there was not much need for the blood trail. If they were cheaper, I would still use them but once I ran out, I switched to other bullets I had.
Old 11-23-2012, 09:08 PM
Fork Horn

a while back i found that the 290 TEZ w/ 110 grains blackhorn 209 was a very accurate load. I always use the regular CCI 209 w/ an o-ring under the primer. I dont drill out my plug it just fits nicely. This I was advised by Keith at western powders to do so I've done this ever since w/ never a problem. I have not taken a bear or anything w/ this load but I am or have read enough reports that indicate great performance as Barnes reputation stands strong. I have found that the .452 300 deep curl is all one ever needs out to 200 yards and the price is more than fair. Sabotloader,and a few others on this forum are very fond of this bullet and if you check back in the records here you will find a lot of reports from these men who have done extensive research w/ the performance of the deep curl. Hope you find this helpful. Take care.
Old 11-24-2012, 02:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have the Triumph, same barrel as the Omega, I'm using two pellets of Triple 7 Magnun with a 250gr. Barnes EZ (blue Sabot) with great results both target and on game, hopefully it will bark this Monday opening day of our MZ season
Old 11-27-2012, 03:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

here is a doe I took yesterday with my Triumph at 60 yards, same barrel as the Omega.....250gr. Barnes Spit-Fire T-EZ, with two pellets of Triple 7 Magnum
Attached Thumbnails Omega with Barnes?-doe-down.jpg  

Last edited by BOWHUNTERCOP; 11-27-2012 at 03:38 PM.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BOWHUNTERCOP
here is a doe I took yesterday with my Triumph at 60 yards, same barrel as the Omega.....250gr. Barnes Spit-Fire T-EZ, with two pellets of Triple 7 Magnum

wow... blew a nice hole in her didn't ya... congrats.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:16 AM
Fork Horn

.454 - What type of o-ring. I use the same setup but get a fair amount of blow by. Maybe a o-ring would solve that. Thanks.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've never had any major issues with blowback from my Omega, but I have experimented with different primers. It seems the low pressure 209's give somewhat better accuracy. Like the ML specific ones. The remington kleen-bores are one of the lowest pressure rated 209's. I have also tried the Vari-Flame primer adapters that are basically a heavier duty brass primer housing that uses the small pistol/rifle primers for ignition. I'm not sure if these work well with BH-209, but I have had excellent results/accuracy using Triple 7 pellets, with vurtually zero blowback or crud-ring.The breechplugs that are designe to accept the .25 ACP primers are also supposed to be pretty good also but haven't tried them. The vari-flames are really nice for long range accuracy as they do not "lift" the charge prior to ignition. If I am hunting shorter ranges, say 100yards and under, I just use the Remington ML 209's.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:10 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the information. I have had some hangfires with the lower pressure primers and BH 209. Never thought about the different breech plusgs for different distances. Interesting.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

Precision Rifle has a new Variflame conversion that uses LR primers in a SS adapter. The plug needs to be modified to fit them but they offer that service too.

http://www.prbullet.com/lrvf.htm

I have my doubts a Variflame actually improves accuracy but i do believe it cuts down on the 777 crud ring.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.