Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
first outing with the white lighting >

first outing with the white lighting

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

first outing with the white lighting

Old 11-21-2012, 10:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default first outing with the white lighting

I need to get the white lighting out to make sure everything was working right and see how the accuracy is.

total of 29 shots
homecast lee 250gr 452 (sized to 451) harvester smooth side sabot
hornidy 350gr fpb
powerbelt 348gr AT

60grs of t7 3f
cci #11 mags (win #11)

did a sight in, in 3 shots.
not pictured

50yrds
homecast

powerbelt 348gr at

FPB

I don't normally do 100yrd shooting until I find a load. but I did today
all orange dots where add to make notes not POA points (wish I did have them on there for that)
100yrds
powder belts 348gr

homecast

found out what happens to a 3/8in steel rod when it is hit with a fbp with 60grs t7 3f at 50yrds

did leave my bull bag at home rushed out, no big deal there I had a set of allen bags in my muzzleloader box.

one problem, the cap would not set on the nipple right, it took two strikes to discharge.

all in all, I am very happy with how my range session went.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

Corey, I had that cap problem on the Swamp Dragon in one range session.

No problems at all in the first session. Then on the second session I started having to strike the cap twice. Then I realized I had been using Remington caps with no problem, but the Winchester #11 Mags were giving me double strike problems. Went back to the Remingtons and had no more problems. The nipple on the Dragon is an Ampco bronze nipple. It seems to have a thicker taper than other #11 nipples and the slightly longer Winchester caps do not seat all the way down on it.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

semi I can't switch out the nipples, the breech plug and nipple is one piece. as for Remington #11's are hard to find local. hoping I can do a supply order after the first of the year. running low on a lot of stuff.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:02 PM
Dominant Buck

Well if worse comes to worse, put the cap on the nipple ON AN EMPTY RIFLE and fire the gun. That sets the cap. NOW THE SAFETY ON. And load it. Now you are sure it will go off.

Very nice shooting there. I have two rifles that do that, no matter what cap I use.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

found some burrs right at the end of the nipple. took some really fine grit sandpaper and took them off.

maybe that was the problem. won't know until I get another chance to get it out.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:01 PM
Spike

I remember having some similar problems when i got my white lightning. I think I touched up the plug, making sure the end was flat and then added a bit of a chamfer that was nice and sharp. That fixed the problem.

I now have 5 different white breechplugs and I do not know which came with which gun anymore. Only two look identical.