Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Opening weekend NY >

Opening weekend NY

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Opening weekend NY

Old 11-19-2012, 11:32 AM
Fork Horn

Default Opening weekend NY

Was great weather for our opening weekend here in NY. Was lucky enough to shoot a 7 pointer and a nice Doe.
CVA Accura with Barnes TEZ 250gr, two white hot pellets. Trying to post the pic, hope it comes through.

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/atta...1&d=1353357021
Attached Thumbnails Opening weekend NY-deer-2012.jpg  
Old 11-19-2012, 11:58 AM
Dominant Buck

Real nice deer there.. How far away were they? I am sure you got pass through with that bullet. So there must have been a good wound and blood.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice Deer and Congrats!
But from one fellow NYer to another yea the weather was nice if you like fishing, but this was'nt Deer Hunting Weather. I've been hunting NY for almost 30 years, and yes we've gone without snow for Opening day in the past but we always had snow by Thanksgiving. Our forecast for all opening week is temps in the mid 50's and almost 6o on Thanksgiving day, this is'nt right for the North. They say possible snow on the higher elevations this comming saturday, but I dont want another snowless deer season like last year, it's just not hunting season weather for us Northerners.
Sorry for the rant and again Congrats on your deer.
(BP)
Old 11-19-2012, 08:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice looking deer congratulations
Old 11-20-2012, 03:41 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by cayugad
Real nice deer there.. How far away were they? I am sure you got pass through with that bullet. So there must have been a good wound and blood.
Cayugad, The Buck was at 80 yds, he caught me off guard while I was eating my lunch, had to shoot him left handed. I've made shots left handed before but never at that distance. The Doe was at 110 yds. The Barnes bullet performed awesome as usual, pass through on both, good blood trails.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:47 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Breechplug
Nice Deer and Congrats!
But from one fellow NYer to another yea the weather was nice if you like fishing, but this was'nt Deer Hunting Weather. I've been hunting NY for almost 30 years, and yes we've gone without snow for Opening day in the past but we always had snow by Thanksgiving. Our forecast for all opening week is temps in the mid 50's and almost 6o on Thanksgiving day, this is'nt right for the North. They say possible snow on the higher elevations this comming saturday, but I dont want another snowless deer season like last year, it's just not hunting season weather for us Northerners.
Sorry for the rant and again Congrats on your deer.
(BP)
Breech, We had a heavy frost on both Sat & Sun so the mornings were pretty chilly which had the Deer moving good on both mornings. I heard more shooting opening day then I have in the past 10 yrs. Snow is always nice, but it's been a long time since we have seen snow on opening day in our part of the state. Good luck with the rest of the season.
Old 11-20-2012, 04:47 AM
Fork Horn

Congrats on the deer!
Old 11-20-2012, 04:53 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by fusion
Breech, We had a heavy frost on both Sat & Sun so the mornings were pretty chilly which had the Deer moving good on both mornings. I heard more shooting opening day then I have in the past 10 yrs. Snow is always nice, but it's been a long time since we have seen snow on opening day in our part of the state. Good luck with the rest of the season.
Thats true,the frost had the deer up and moving early but when sun warmed up everything they stopped moving. Last year was a bust cause we didnt get any snow anywhere. I heard a few shots opening day and sunday but not like previous years. The state decided that my area (4-O) needed an antler restriction put in it, but didnt up the DMP's for area instead decided you need a P point to get a dmp for area. Seems the state thinks we need to all be Trouphy Hunter's instead of converationists while car/deer accidents have gone up 6 % in a 2 year period due to over popalation of deer in area. I spend 98.00 a year in hunting license fees and I cant even put meat in my freeezer without having to drive 30 miles to hunt another DMU to hunt deer cause the deer in my area are "illegal" being they dont fit in state's plans.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by fusion
We also had a heavy frost on opening day and on sunday and monday and today. But depending on if Im hunting in hill country or on the flats the temps during the day can vary. In the hills the temps are 5-9 degrees cooler than on the flats.
We also heard more shooting on opening day then in awhile, our small hunting party had done preety good in the first 4 days, we got 3 10 pointers a 11 pointer and a 12 pointer, my wifes 6 point and a half racked buck, no one has shot at a doe yet. Im gonna post some pics of our bucks in a new thread, check em out. It's suppos to SNOW on Saturday with accumulations
(BP)
Old 11-20-2012, 05:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by nys-buckstalker
Thats true,the frost had the deer up and moving early but when sun warmed up everything they stopped moving. Last year was a bust cause we didnt get any snow anywhere. I heard a few shots opening day and sunday but not like previous years. The state decided that my area (4-O) needed an antler restriction put in it, but didnt up the DMP's for area instead decided you need a P point to get a dmp for area. Seems the state thinks we need to all be Trouphy Hunter's instead of converationists while car/deer accidents have gone up 6 % in a 2 year period due to over popalation of deer in area. I spend 98.00 a year in hunting license fees and I cant even put meat in my freeezer without having to drive 30 miles to hunt another DMU to hunt deer cause the deer in my area are "illegal" being they dont fit in state's plans.
40, delaware, your a ways away from 9J. We had a frosty cold moning each morning since opening day, and the afternoons are cold too, but mid day has been in the mid to upper 40's and low 50's.
I understand how you feel about not being able to shoot whatever buck you see because of antler restrictions, some need the meat and a full freezer. If we had restrictions here and being my wife can only hunt 2-3 times a season, she might not get a buck if that happened in our DMU. But me personally I'd like to see a 3 point on one side rule. We'd have more bigger bucks down the road. I dont shoot anything unless it's a 140 class or better buck and the same with a-lot of the guys I hunt with. Our wives shoot the small bucks and some does, so we can slide and have no pressure on filling the freezer and hunt for the big ones. Im going to post a new thread if our first 4 days and some bucks we took, check it out.
(BP)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.