Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Deep Curl or XTP?

Old 02-10-2013, 02:58 AM
Spike

Wv hunter. The reason those gold dots/deep curls came apart like that is because all of the DC/GD are meant for lower velocity. From the 250gr and under their max is about 1500fps. The only one rated for higher speeds is the 300gr deep curl/gold dot bullet. The ones under 300gr are meant for loading in the 45 colt/acp and for those velocities. Firing those out of a muzzleloader will push those (250's and under) way past their max velocity ceiling. Those shockwaves (which I really like) are good performers and and are designed for those ML higher speeds and are built to withstand high impact velocities. Good tests. I like to see what others find out through testing and show their results.
Good shooting
Meatyrem.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, i have found the 300g Deep Curl bullet to work just fine at rifle velocities. Another bullet that works good at rifle velocities is the 270g Deep Curl bullet. In my opinion, both these bullet are superior to them Shockwave.

Following is a photo of what the 300g Deep Curl bullet looks like after being captured in water filled jugs at 60', 200 yard, and 300 yard. Powder charge was 105g Blackhorn for the 60' capture, and the 200 yard capture. The bullet captured at 300 yard was propelled by 110g Blackhorn powder.

Old 02-10-2013, 10:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Meatyrem
Wv hunter. The reason those gold dots/deep curls came apart like that is because all of the DC/GD are meant for lower velocity. From the 250gr and under their max is about 1500fps. The only one rated for higher speeds is the 300gr deep curl/gold dot bullet. The ones under 300gr are meant for loading in the 45 colt/acp and for those velocities. Firing those out of a muzzleloader will push those (250's and under) way past their max velocity ceiling. Those shockwaves (which I really like) are good performers and and are designed for those ML higher speeds and are built to withstand high impact velocities. Good tests. I like to see what others find out through testing and show their results.
Good shooting
Meatyrem.
Meatyrem...thanks for the feedback, and welcome to the forum.

Honestly, I have no idea why they came apart like that. The ONLY thing I can surmise based on "my" testing is that the design with the huge deep hollow point caused it. Maybe it was going too fast for that particular bullet design and the media I used(sand), but I'd have to guess 1600-1700 in my tests. So certainly not blazing speed. I don't know why, but for certain they disintegrated.

Now, I can't buy that ALL Deep Curls under 250gr can't handle that speed. I used the .240 in my tests (the other picture where they held completely together) and I used it for hunting this year with 100gr load (probably around 1800fps) and it performed perfectly. Others have had similar results at faster than that.

Go here: http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/blac...sses-test.html

The wrench in this whole thing is that other members here have actually had good success with the exact bullet that blew up in my testing. Both in their testing, and on live game, at speeds certainly higher than 1500.

All I know for certain at this point, is the 240gr (.429) deep curl is what I'm hunting with for the forseeable future as they worked amazingly well for me in both my testing and on live game.

Maybe we'll get lucky someday and have a Speer engineer see these threads and respond. LOL, unlikely though.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ron, the bullets you have there have the same design as the .240 I had success with.....they have the shallow hollow point.