Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Loaded 28 Days - Did it go Boom! today >

Loaded 28 Days - Did it go Boom! today

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Loaded 28 Days - Did it go Boom! today

Old 11-09-2012, 11:21 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Loaded 28 Days - Did it go Boom! today

Just some history... And most of it was done not according to hoyle...

The rifle is an Knight Mountaineer - 50 cal, on October 5th I ran to the farm with the rifle and shot 3 shots to check POI and to fire foul the barrel. I brought it home, ran one moist windex patch both sides. Dryed the bore with fresh patches.

Next the gun was loaded on October 8th or 9th - 120 grains T7-2f, with a Bloodline .458-300 bullet in a red Knight sabot.

Hunting season opened October 10 and most everyday or couple of days from there after it has been in the field hunting. I will indicate for the most part the weather has been decent. But there have been cold wet days also.

The gun has been placed in the truck in the morning and after each hunt. Hauled to and from the hunt sight in that method - It has come in out of the house each trip with no special care.

Somewhere around the second week of the hunting season when the weather was going foul - I did also run a very slightly oiled (Montana X-Treme Bore Conditioner) down to the the top of the bullet just to add a bit of protection to the bore.

Today after a morning hunt in the snow as we were passing the Strychnine Gravel Pile... I decided I would touch the gun off just to verify what I really thought I knew - but 28 days later it was time. We stopped and I placed a very mild Remington 209-4 primer in the bolt. Then I picked out a spot on the bank behind the gravel pile - Larry ranged it at 104 yards. I leaned over the hood of the pickup - placed the crosshairs of the Leupold on the spot and touched the gun off. Boom!!! - and smoke. It really did feel right but I had know idea if I hit where I was suppose to but Larry was watching through his by-nocs and called it a hit.

I am now repeating the process and about to drop the powder down the bore for the next hunt, which is tomorrow morning...

I really do feel confident in this process with T7 powder - not sure about any other sub other than BH. I do not think that T7 sucks up the moisture near as much as some would have you believe.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:04 PM
Dominant Buck

No signs of any rusting? Even though it sat fouled... that's good to hear.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by cayugad
No signs of any rusting? Even though it sat fouled... that's good to hear.
Nope not at all, the windex neutralizes almost all of the powder residue as well as removing a bunch of it. But at this point I still consider the bore 'semi-fouled' - no reference to Semisane meant at all...

I do also end up running a very lightly oiled Montana patch down also that serves as bore protection. And you already know how well and how a little Bore Conditioner goes a long way. Since BC is basically glycol ether - it evaporates and drys very quickly. I still run a couple of dry patches after the BC patch to get as much back out as I can but I can not ever prove that I am getting any BC out other than some smell and a little dis-coloring.

I have been doing this for several years now and I am pretty confident of what I am doing and how I am doing it...

Last edited by sabotloader; 11-09-2012 at 12:34 PM.
Old 11-09-2012, 02:37 PM
Dominant Buck

I am glad that it works so well for you.. powder left in a barrel bother me for some reason. But you seem to have all that under control. That is a long time to go unfired. You need to look for game more..
Old 11-09-2012, 03:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by cayugad
I am glad that it works so well for you.. powder left in a barrel bother me for some reason. But you seem to have all that under control. That is a long time to go unfired. You need to look for game more..
I can find does just fine - they seem to appear just about anyplace... but so far have not found a decent buck... Will stay in that mode until Turkey week then after that any good deer wil work. Did get a look at 3 elk this morning also - but can not shoot them until Dec. 2
Old 11-09-2012, 05:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good to hear sabotloader
I do the same as you but I use Pyro RS, but I also cut a piece of masking tape "quarter sized" and cover then end of the muzzle with it to keep out the elements. I had mine loaded on a fouled barrel for a couple of weeks in the hot, cold, pouring rain and wet snow and cold cold snowy days, she awlays goes BOOM.
The windex patch/MX BC really does the trick in preventing corrosion in the barrel.
Also the BOOM you had would have been better had it had a Tag included in the story
(BP)
Old 11-09-2012, 05:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Breechplug
Good to hear sabotloader
I do the same as you but I use Pyro RS, but I also cut a piece of masking tape "quarter sized" and cover then end of the muzzle with it to keep out the elements. I had mine loaded on a fouled barrel for a couple of weeks in the hot, cold, pouring rain and wet snow and cold cold snowy days, she awlays goes BOOM.
The windex patch/MX BC really does the trick in preventing corrosion in the barrel.
Also the BOOM you had would have been better had it had a Tag included in the story
(BP)
It is to early to use my one deer tag and I can not use my elk tag... Although I talked to land owner today about using his property for hunting and as access to some Potlatch land behind him. He said sure! if you shoot any wolf you see. I told him I coul not shoot a wolf right now as I do not have a tag... he was dead serious when he said this... "on my property you do not need a tag!" Well you do but I knew exactly what he meant. He runs a lot of cattle right next to a lot of public timber lands. He hates wolves!!!
Old 11-10-2012, 05:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sabotloader
It is to early to use my one deer tag and I can not use my elk tag... Although I talked to land owner today about using his property for hunting and as access to some Potlatch land behind him. He said sure! if you shoot any wolf you see. I told him I coul not shoot a wolf right now as I do not have a tag... he was dead serious when he said this... "on my property you do not need a tag!" Well you do but I knew exactly what he meant. He runs a lot of cattle right next to a lot of public timber lands. He hates wolves!!!
You guy's need a tag for Wolves, that's too bad. We of course dont have any wolfe, but we do have some darn big coyotes and a-lot of them, some go from 80-90lbs. We dont need to tag them and they can be hunted day or night from Oct 1st to March 31st, ececpt on Long Island and in NYC. We shoot every one of them no good buggers we see.
How big do the wolfe get there? I bet a skull of a wolfe would make a nice table decoration in your Den.
Good Luck when you can finally use your Tags.
(BP)
Old 11-12-2012, 05:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Took the Remington 700 54 cal out of the safe November 13th 2011. Ran a patch soaked with windex down the bore and dried it with a couple other patches. Went out to my range loaded up and shot 3 shots to verfy the poi had not changed. Brought it back in my room disassembled the breach plug and bolt cleaned both squeeky clean as well as the bore. Reinstalled the breech plug and bolt. Loaded with 100gr. T7 a T/C mag sabot and 240gr XTP. It sat in my room till the early hours of November 15 2011 when deer season opened. I left it on our screened in porch every night loaded. The season closed for me on December 20 some thing. I finally got back to the rifle on the screen porch on January 3d 2012 after I had taken cake of a bunch of stuff I put off during my hunting season.
With a CCI 209 primer I had installed on the 13th of November it went BOOM.
Went XTP went thru 2 4 inch phone books and a 4 inch grangers catolog about half way.
Could have been dead deer during the season I feel. I put some cling wrap over the muzzle during rainy days held with a rubber band.

Al
Old 11-12-2012, 06:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey guys, I see that ya'll use Windex for you bore "Semi Cleaner" after a shot. Have you tried alcohol prep pads in the same mindset?
My wife works at a hospital and is always bringing them home in her uniforms and find them in the dryer later. I use Windex after reading it here, but think that I may switch over and save the dryer!!!! That and I am cheap and it already comes with a patch!!! LOL!!! Less patches, more powder and bullets!!?!?!?!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.