Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Decision Time on a .45 Barrel for the Swamp Dragon >

Decision Time on a .45 Barrel for the Swamp Dragon

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Decision Time on a .45 Barrel for the Swamp Dragon

Old 11-07-2012, 08:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Decision Time on a .45 Barrel for the Swamp Dragon

First, a little background story.

While in the midst of the Swamp Dragon build I ran across the "Internet Special" ads on the Green Mountain Barrel Site, and ordered the .50 caliber barrel you guys have seen mounted on the gun.

Well, the day that barrel arrived from Green Mountain I was so pleased with it that I immediately ordered one of the .45 caliber barrels from this ad.

This is the barrel I received - a round barrel just as stated in the ad.

I was even happier. Whereas the .50 barrel had screw holes in it for front and rear sights, and for the ramrod ferrule, the .45 barrel was completely free of any holes.

Now, here's the tickler!

When I unpacked the box there were two .45 caliber barrels - the hole free round barrel and a fluted barrel with six screw holes in it.

The fluted barrels are not listed on the Green Mountain web site. I guess they had this thing laying around and decided to give it to me as part of my second order within a week.

It was easy to see why this barrel was a reject. The sight holes do not line up properly with the flutes.

I know sight screw holes could be filled with plug screws and such. But I got to thinking I could fill them with solder. I've never heard of such a thing and thought that alone was a good reason to give it a try.

I blew out the holes with carburetor cleaner, cut a piece of solder about 1/4" long, and stuck it in the hole. Then I hit the area with a propane torch until the solder melted and looked like a little mushroom sticking out of the hole. While it was still hot, I tapped it with the bottom of a spoon to make sure it was fully spread in the hole. Then I carefully cut it to match the barrel profile and smoothed it with a piece of Emery paper.

It came out OK. The hole spots are visible, but filled level with the barrel.

Now it's decision time. The barrels are the same length with the same rate of twist. Do I use the hole free round barrel for the Dragon, or the "repaired" fluted barrel?

Last edited by Semisane; 11-08-2012 at 05:55 AM.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:11 PM
Typical Buck

Wow talk about a tough decision. I say install both, take pictures of each and start a poll. Very impressive on fixing the fluted barrel also.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Use the hole free and start another Dragon...
Old 11-08-2012, 04:25 AM
1874sharpsshooter

Flutes have long been used to lull dragons to sleep so a person could sneak upon them for the kill . I think even George the dragon slayer used this approach , so I say round barrel .
Stay away from flutes

Old 11-08-2012, 05:46 AM
Dominant Buck

I would make the decision on appearance... or possible, the one could be cut down at a later time without the blemish to the appearance and make a baby smoke belching pistol.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

Flutes have long been used to lull dragons to sleep so a person could sneak upon them for the kill.
I hadn't thought about that Sharpsshooter. I sure don't want to take the chance that some wily whitetail might play a flute just as I am about to shoot and lull the Dragon to sleep, causing a misfire.

the one could be cut down at a later time without the blemish to the appearance and make a baby smoke belching pistol
Now there's a idea I like Cayugad. A fluted barrel pistol would be neat.

The round barrel it shall be.

Last edited by Semisane; 11-08-2012 at 06:15 AM.