Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
A Telephone Pole? Really? >

A Telephone Pole? Really?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

A Telephone Pole? Really?

Old 11-07-2012, 07:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default A Telephone Pole? Really?

Breechplug has changed his goals for Hunting Season 2012, Im now after "Telephone Pole"
Since I now have more time on my hands than I know what to do with I have now set my sights on this great buck I finally saw tonight and will fill my tag with only him this season. I nick named this buck Telephone Pole when I first saw the rubbed telephone poles, yes 3 of them when I went to set up my stand a few days back. This is'nt your ordinary regular telephone pole either, it's the BIG one's used on the big power lines that run along the corn field I hunt.
I saw this big buck tonight while I was in my stand bow hunting, he's got at least a 22" inside spread and lots of points and goes well over 200lbs. I know it's him because I could see a buck way off and I got my binoculars out and saw him at the pole, even though he was about 1/2 a way or better I knew what he was doing, rubbing the telephone pole I had taken pictures of earlier this past week. He then came down the gas well driveway between the corn field and came my way. I thought I'd get a shot, if it was our opener of gun season I'd of had a shot but it does'nt start untill Nov 17th. So there I sat holding my bow shaking as he worked a scrape at 100yds, he finished working the scrape and as luck would have it a hot doe came out and off into the woods he went and did'nt show after that. But I did hear him running her in the woods for sometime.
I have the corn field all to myself untill opening day of gun when a few of my other buddies hunt it too so I have a little time yet to try for him.
I just had to show you te pics of the pole and my tree stand set up and where Im hunting.
The first pic is where the combine met where it planted a part of the corn field and then met itself on the return. This gave me a route to my stand without leaving any scent to my stand, it's twice as wide as walking down a regular corn row, it's about 1/3 mile through the corn to my stand. The corn field is 1 mile long from end to end and 1/2 mile wide at it widest part.
The next 2 pics are what I see from my stand, the right and left hedgrows along the woods of the corn field. My stand in in the right corner of the corn field in the back.
The next pic shows the telephone poles the buck has rubbed way out in fron of my stand.
The next pic if a close up of the telephone pole with a scrape by the pole with the bucks tracks in it.
The next pic is a closer pic of the rubbed pole.
And I dont know how I forgot but I did'nt bring my camera with me tonight, I always do for them in the field pics of my deer harvest so I did'nt get a pic of the buck. I will soon though, I hope.
(BP)
Attached Thumbnails A Telephone Pole? Really?-dsc01526.jpg   A Telephone Pole? Really?-dsc01527.jpg   A Telephone Pole? Really?-dsc01528.jpg   A Telephone Pole? Really?-dsc01530.jpg   A Telephone Pole? Really?-dsc01536.jpg  

Old 11-07-2012, 07:16 PM
Dominant Buck

beautiful looking hunting ground there... and I never saw a buck use a phone pole as a rub but then again.. why not.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Of course the last Pic never has room......here it is.
(BP)
Attached Thumbnails A Telephone Pole? Really?-dsc01538.jpg  
Old 11-07-2012, 07:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

I've never seen buck rubs on a telephone either. But then again, I've never thought to look for one on a telephone pole.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane
I've never seen buck rubs on a telephone either. But then again, I've never thought to look for one on a telephone pole.
I never have either, but I found the same poles rubbed last season but never seen the buck who was doing it. This is a hard to hunt area, or I should say an area where there's acres and acres of real thick stuff that's near the corn field where the deer hide and bed. Most of the cover is so thick if god forbid it doesnt happen but if it did and you could possibly find a way to get through this stuff on your hands and knees with a pair of Pruning Shears and then stood up in it and died, they'd find you standing up. So many of the deer in this area die of old age befor there taken by a hunter, and many never show in the light, all you see are there tracks in the corn field and the snow, only leaving you to wonder what they look like after seeing there 6" tracks.
(BP)
Old 11-07-2012, 11:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dont think we have bucks big enough to rub telephone polls. That would be a dandy. That is some good looking deer country and all y'alls leaves are gone. We still have trees full of leaves. Good luck with that big dude.
Old 11-08-2012, 03:34 AM
Typical Buck

Hey BP, on some of the ground that hunt in Missouri and Kansas we sometimes get bucks that rub on telephone poles, especially in Kansas where trees are not that plentiful. Good luck with the buck!!
Old 11-08-2012, 05:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by gregrn43
Dont think we have bucks big enough to rub telephone polls. That would be a dandy. That is some good looking deer country and all y'alls leaves are gone. We still have trees full of leaves. Good luck with that big dude.
gregrn,
those telephone poles are the ones that are twice the size of the telephone poles like you and I have along our streets, I was going to lean my bow up against it to show it's true size but I did'nt want to leave any scent on it. It was bad enough that I stood near it and took the pics even with rubber boots on.
Yes our side of NYS is all country with plenty of great deer hunting in our argricultural area. Most of the leaves are off the trees execpt for the Oaks, they always hang on the longest.
Thank's for the wish.
(BP)
Old 11-08-2012, 05:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by onetohunt
Hey BP, on some of the ground that hunt in Missouri and Kansas we sometimes get bucks that rub on telephone poles, especially in Kansas where trees are not that plentiful. Good luck with the buck!!
onetohunt, I know you guy's have some Monster Whitetails in Kansas also, I always dreamed of a Kansas Hunt. Not many trees there? The rutting activity this year is unbelieveable, I've never seen so many rubs and scrapes and chasing going on.
I'd still be in the stand now if it was'nt for I saw Mr. Big this morning on the trail of a hot doe, he followed her into the bedding grounds and will probably stay in there for the rest of the day with her so I got out of my stand early. I did'nt want to be in stand and be tempeted by a nice lesser buck if he walked by, plus I have some errands I have to do so this was a good reason to leave.
All My Best and Good Luck this season.
(BP)
Old 11-08-2012, 06:01 AM
Fork Horn

Good luck on him.
Don,t let him shake you out of your stand!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.