Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Harvester Scorpion 240gr Funnel Point Mags >

Harvester Scorpion 240gr Funnel Point Mags

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Harvester Scorpion 240gr Funnel Point Mags

Old 11-07-2012, 06:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Harvester Scorpion 240gr Funnel Point Mags

I decided to try out a cheaper bullet/sabot this year since most all of my shots on deer will be 100 yards or less & I have no need for tight groups out past 100. I bought some .50cal. 240gr. Harvester Scorpion Funnel Point Mags (.45) with the crushed rib sabots. I will start out with 2-50gr. 777 pellets. I will be shooting a .50 Omega. I just wondered if any of you guys (or gals) have any experience with these bullets? And how do you like (or not) like them.

It seems like I get better expansion with the plain jacketed hollow points vs. the ballistic tip.

These have the hex points and are the first I've seen with this design.

Just curious what others think about this bullet/sabot combo.
I realize they are cheap but figured someone else has at least tried them out.

Last edited by Buckhunter46755; 11-07-2012 at 06:27 AM.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:39 AM
Fork Horn

I am a harvester PT Gold fan and the funnel point as well. I find that the 240 grain wont hold up as well as the 260 or 300 grain. The plating process w/ these bullets is or supposed to be perminately bonded to the lead but do come apart when pushed real hard. I am thinking w/ the 100 grain load you just may be in the right speed for the 240 as i always pushed 110 grains of blackhorn 209. I am and have learned for myself that when it comes to ML, I get the best accuracy and performance w/300 grain projectiles and over. I have the Omega too and all harvester bullets shoot great out of the Omega, especially w/ the crush rib sabot.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:42 AM
Dominant Buck

I shoot the Scorpion .50 caliber but .451 caliber bullet in the 260 grain size. I shoot both the funnel nose and the PT Scorpion. These are very accurate out of my rifles with 100 grains of powder. Also I found that in my Knight Disc with 90 grains of BlackHorn 209 they are very accurate. I have not taken game with them. I did do the standard wet paper test which only tells me what they do in wet paper.. but I got excellent penetration and expansion. I see no reason these will not perform very well for you. Good luck.